Thursday, November 10, 2005

Missing books.. do you have them?

I don't have a reputation for being very Careful With My Things. In fact, the number of things I've lost in the past year is probably staggering. Usually, I don't even notice things are lost because, you know, they'll turn up again soon. They're just under the sofa or in the back seat of the car or languishing on my desk at work. But some things just don't come home again. For example..

Most recent loss: a Bluetooth wireless headset for my phone. I loved this little thing, and I know I had it 4 weeks ago on Tuesday night before church choir. Now: gone.

Most devastating loss of 2005: my own handknit gloves (my first, knit in 1993) made from handspun yarn in beautiful shades of magenta, purple, and blues from navy to turquoise. I know I had them last winter, say, before Christmas. I can't say for sure when I saw them last, but they had been left at the same French restaurant TWICE and at the Geary Theater in San Francisco before I lost them for good. They are sadly missed.

And this week I'm discovering that some of my favorite knitting books appear to have gone the way of the gloves. Mom and I ("Hi Mom! Glad you got home safely.") started cataloging my knitting library this week. In the process, I've found a bunch of books are missing. I've started asking everyone I know whether I lent them these books. How about you? Seen my copy of any of these?

Debbie Stoller, Stitch-n-Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook
      

Nancie Wiseman, The Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques
      

Sally Melville, The Knit Stitch (autographed!!)
      

Filati Special, Kids & Babys
      

My true purpose in cataloging the knitting library is, of course, getting ready to make my Xmas list. It turns out that despite my best efforts I don't yet own all the knitting books on the planet. So I'm going to ask Santa for this, probably this, and maybe this. Do you think if I put them on my list, Santa would also find my gloves and my beloved bluetooth headset??

[Note: edited to add missing wish-list link, 10:30 pm. Thanks for letting me know, Bogie - Ed.]

6 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Sorry, I haven't seen your copies. So, what's the first item on your list for Santa? The link goes to something you already have!

November 10, 2005 4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have not seen the books listed, but I do have your copy of Hands On Spinning, remember? I'm nearly done with it and ready to send it home soon. Hope you find the other titles before Christmas!

November 10, 2005 7:50 PM  
Blogger Emy said...

I do not have your books.

(But Commuknity has copies of the last two on your wish list in the store, if you want to check them out and make sure you want them *g*)

November 10, 2005 10:53 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

No books here, though that pair of size 2 circs are safe in my knitting bag waiting until I can knit for me again. If you need them sooner shout. Good luck getting it all back, I know how hard it is to lose things you love, it's happened to me too!

November 11, 2005 9:07 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I hope you find your things. That's frustrating. :(

I think I want the last two books you linked to as well. I looked at them both at the bookstore recently, but couldn't justify buying them for myself.

November 11, 2005 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have any of your books, but I see one I would love to borrow :) I didn't know that Filati put out a kids and baby book. Anyway, I really hope you find everything!

November 14, 2005 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home