Thursday, October 06, 2005

The Yosemite Report

Wow, Yosemite is beautiful in fall. Darling spouse-o and I had a lovely fall weekend in the park and he took some photos. I knit and re-knit the dang heels on the current Double Trouble 2 socks, 2 circs project. I beleve the final count was 6. I turned *one* heel on *one* sock 6 flipping times before it came out right. Meh!

But we've moved on now, and we need never speak of the dark times again. I'm working my way up the legs and loving the color development on the stripes.

On our way out of town last Friday, I was dispatched to the bookstore and grocery store for reading material, sammiches, dark chocolate and wine. I picked up the Fall 2005 Knitter's (K80) as something to read after the park goes to sleep (9 pm. A bit early for me.) I'm really disappointed with this issue. The patterns are not calling out to be knitted. There are some interesting stitch patterns which could be adapted for other uses, but most of the garment shapes are intentionally weird (Vegas showgirl vest.. giant wide crop top.. oversized collar coat... goofy purple panel sweater). Most of them are not very flattering even on tiny model women. And the use of photography is awful in this issue - why is there no full-frontal photo of the kimono? Why are the full-garment shots always the tiny inset photo and the large blown up image is a "lifestyle" photo?

Let's take as an example the cover pattern.


I like a hoodie, generally speaking, but the cover photo reveals a complete lack of shaping at the join between the body and the hood. So in one photo it is revealed that this garment is not well designed, nor is it well presented by this photograph. I sure wish I knew what earned this photo a slot on the cover.

I will knit one pattern in this issue, the necktie. I've been thinking about knitting ties for my men-folk since last winter when I tried to produce a pointy-ended tie for my bro-in-law. Both hubby and bro-in-law said this when they saw the photo: "I thought knitted ties were rectangular". Fine. If that's what you want, the Knitter's pattern will do just fine. But $8 is a lot to spend for one simple necktie pattern. I feel like the Knitter's team is really far inside their own process and don't have much empathy for those of us out here in the rest of the world. Perhaps that alos explains why the web site is so hard to navigate. I'm afraid my closing remark is going to have to be the same as my verdict on the 6-heel sock: Meh.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another trip. I'm jealous. Nice photos by Bill, naturally. You think you are disappointed in knitting magazine projects. Ha. What do you think a 60+ person has in common with with these projects? Not much. Hey looking forward to seeing you VERY SOON. Momgd

October 06, 2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

Ohhh, lucky you in Yosemite. Sorry you were havin trouble with your socks. And you're right, this Knitters isn't very inspiring. :(

~ Christina

October 06, 2005 5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

30 yrs in the U.S., 8 of them in CA and I've yet to visit Yoesemite. I'm ashamed and jealous.

October 06, 2005 8:44 PM  
Blogger Mel said...

I'm in total agreement on the Knitter's review, I was so unimpressed I didn't even buy it (though there was some nice yarn shown in one of the ads).

Yosemite looks beautiful! And Jeni, don't feel bad, I'm a CA native and still haven't made it out there. One of these days...

Glad to hear your socks are finally working out well. :)

October 07, 2005 9:55 AM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Here's another native CA who's never been to Yosemite. Thanks for sharing the photos, they're beautiful.

About the magazine--well you know how I feel. I need to cancel my subscription.

October 07, 2005 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maggie Righetti said in one of her books (it might have been 'Knitting in Plain English" that if the model of a knitted or crocheted design is standing in an odd position. or the photo is on funny angle or something, there's probably some flaw in the pattern somewhere. That model on the Knitter's cover is holding onto the hood like it'll probably fall off if she lets it go......

November 04, 2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger spinnity said...

oooh, that is *such* a good point, Norah! That is step one of my "learning to read a pattern" class when I teach knitting.. looking at page after page of knitting magazines where they are clearly trying to hide design flaws with posture, jewelry & large handbags. Thanks for connecting the dots, that is definitely what is happening on this cover as well.

November 04, 2005 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home