Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Hiding out

Hello world. I assume there's still a world out there. I've been hiding lately. Not much blog posting or blog reading. Almost zero Xmas shopping. Cancelled some dinner plans. Missed the only holiday parties I was invited to. Read 4 Jane Austen novels since November 25th. I think maybe I'm in the doldrums.

And it's not just me. It's also my house. If you happened to look at my darling spouse-o's blog, you know that our living room floors were torn up on December 5th. And then nothing happened. The room is still empty. This week we chose some wood for the floor (maybe) and packed up one of the pantry shelf units in preparation for.. what? I've got no contract, no dates, no plan. But thanks to my packing & room prep, I've also got no stereo, no sofa, and now no dishes. Soon, I won't even have potato chips, since I have to pack the 2nd pantry shelf thing soon. So with the kitchen and living room sorta.. empty.. forlorn... we've living in the other rooms of the house for the past two weeks. With 2 plates, 2 bowls, and 2 coffee mugs. Is that a form of hiding?

Anyway, sorry I've missed you, wherever I've missed you lately.. but I'm missing a lot of people this month. So it's not about you. k?

In the world of knitting, here's three weeks worth of updates. At knitting meetup on December 7th, we held a knitter's gift exchange. (Good idea, Mel. Sorry you missed it!) I tried pretty hard to grab one of the *cool* gifts, but ended up with a painter's brush case/needle case. I have a lot of needles, but I have also got a lot of cases. So better luck next time. Until then, I will just be satisfied with the cute decoration on one of the gifts that was stolen from me, Mr Dangly Legs Snowman. Inn't he cute?

I have actually finished a project for Christmas.. from last Christmas. Presenting the Allison scarf, modeled by the recipient himself, my beloved husband:

I wish you could feel the loft of this scarf. It's spectacular. It cheers up even the most morose of knitters.

I've got one more project due for completion this month. I'm working on a pair of fingerless gloves for my sis-in-law, Wiz knitter, who has a birthday coming up before the end of the year. (Remember her? she used to be "knuknitter", but she's not so knu any more, so she changed her handle. Blog is still at the same location, though.) I showed her the nearly-finished gloves last night. I have about 40 ends to weave in.. 4 per finger.. but the knitting is done. I'm saving the photos til I can show you the finished object, Real Soon Now.

Next on the agenda is Something For Me, from the Stitches West 2005 stash. The pattern is called Fabric Stitch T. It uses two yarns from Interlacements, Colorado (no longer offered on their web site) and New York, in a color called "Poppy Fields." I started swatching last night and discovered that my old bamboo needles won't work for this fine, fine, finely woven rayon. The tiny nicks in the surface snag the yarn almost immediately. So I dashed over to commuknity at lunch to pick up some size 10.5 Addis. I'm ready to start swatching at tonight's meetup. Photos as soon as I finish the swatch.

That's all the news from here. I hope your December/holiday season has been more light-filled & cheery than mine. If it hasn't.. call me up & we'll go for a beer or a slice of cake or a walk in the hills to cheer ourselves up.

5 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

Having your house in disarray is very disturbing. I remember how irate I was for the three months that our kitchen was being redone. Oy.

Hope you get out of the doldrums to have happy holidays! :)

December 21, 2005 7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I say? Your house disarray depresses me from here. But you know it will, inevitably,get done and be splendiferous. Then you can have a house back-in-order party.I hope we can cheer you out of your doldrums a bit while you are home. At least you will be out of the mess for awhile. See you soon. Love, Mom

December 22, 2005 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh. Hope you get out of the doldrums soon. I know! You can come to my place tonight and have some sugar and alcohol. Just drop by for as long as you can make it. It will be fun.

December 22, 2005 11:42 AM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Sorry to hear about your floors. That would get anyone down. For the time being, see if you can turn away from the renovation (easier said than done, I know) and enjoy your family & friends & fiber 'cause that's what it's all about. Here's something that will cheer you up--there's a big box of merino making its way to CA. I suspect we'll have the makings of a mini-KAL once it arrives.

December 22, 2005 4:08 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Wow, it's bizarre how disorienting having your house torn up can be. My sister and brother-in-law have been living in three rooms of their house for a year now, and boy are they grumpy. (Not to mention that being 8.5 months pregnant makes you pretty grumpy, anyway.) The good news is that little Lucas should be born next week, ahead of schedule. (They're inducing because he's so huge.) As Sarah says, it's pretty amazing that she's created human life in less time than it took to remodel their house.

December 23, 2005 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home