Thursday, December 29, 2005

Holiday travels, almost done

I'm packing up tonight to leave Illinois and return to California after my annual Christmas visit "home" to Illinois. I think I was still pretty anti-Christmas all week, until tonight. Now I see we all had a pretty good time together and it wasn't so bad. Note to self: remember to re-read this paragraph next year, when I'm feeling the blahs.

We've been booked pretty solid with activities here in Champaign: 2 small family Christmas gatherings, church on Sunday, going to see King Kong with my nephew, consumption of the Beloved Pizza of Yore, a tiny bit of birding, a visit to the new Lincoln Museum in Springfield and a shopping trip to Needleworks, the large & well-stocked LYS in Champaign.

In knitting/gifting news from the trip: Momcat has been knitting socks like a fiend since she learned how to knit socks on 2 circular needles on her March visit to Califonia. For Christmas, she presented my darling spouse-o with his own hand-knit socks. I'm sure you can imagine the conversations this leads to.
  • Spouse-o: "Wow, look, your *mom* knit me socks. *You* haven't knit me socks recently, have you?"
  • Me: *&$#@
The socks in question are knit in Cherry Tree Hill Supersock in a color called Java and they are dreamy. (No photos from here.. it's *shudder* dial-up!)
  • Spouse-o: "This is going to sound dumb, but I really see why you like those handknit socks so much. Mom's socks are so nice on the feet."
  • Me: Grrr.
My gifts from mom included a Fabri-knit kit to make a little purse and THREE, count them THREE knitting books from the 1970's -- all Golden Hands. And wait til you see the PANTSUIT. The nasty loopy hat. The floor-length, hooded, lace wedding-coat-cum-elf-costume. Not kidding. I am in seventh heaven looking at these books. I'm sure you will be "offered" a chance to share this joy Real Soon Now.

On the receiving end, Mom walked away from Christmas with Not Just Socks, Sensational Knitted Socks, and Socks Soar on 2 Circulars, three great resources to inspire her sock creativity. And she has yarn to knit 4 pairs of socks, thanks to a gift certificate to the aforementioned LYS plus some very nice Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock from wizknitter and my brother.

Turns out the Shepherd Sock is in the same color -- "Tuscany" -- that I got last summer as knitting machine rent from Cookie. Maybe we can coordinate and make twinsy socks with the Tuscany colors. Wouldn't we be cute?? Anyway, with the jazzy new yarn and the inspiring source books, I think we're about to see a whole new dimension to socks from Mom.

During the trip I have been working on the gloves for wizknitter (DONE!) and the little Fabri-Knit purse (knitting done.. working on the lining) and my Lorna's Laces socks for my friend Mary (either almost done, or way too long, we'll know soon enough).

That's all the news.. catch you in a few days when we return to broadband & get the staff photographer to stop admiring his new socks and take some pictures.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Can't wait for the photos. But something tells me the first one he's going to snap is of his new socks. I just read your dialog to my honey (who happens to be wearing his ASAs) and we had a good chuckle. Travel well and I'll see you soon.

December 29, 2005 10:16 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Glad to hear you had a great time and I look forward to seeing the JOY that is Golden hands. Travel safe!

~ Christina

December 29, 2005 11:07 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Can't wait to see the 70s books! They are a hoot.

Have a safe trip home. :)

December 29, 2005 11:09 PM  
Blogger Emy said...

It's got to be so totally weird that I know that Tuscany is the same colorway that Jeni (The Knitist) chose for her Clapotis.

I can't even remember my phone number some days, yet Jeni's Clapotis colorway is *right there*. *sigh*

December 30, 2005 11:39 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Something about that Tuscany sock yarn just makes it jump into your basket. Such a yummy colorway.

I think I might have to start knitting Adam socks, since God knows he won't wear sweaters, hats, or scarves.

January 09, 2006 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home