Monday, October 18, 2004

Designing.. and near disaster

Design: I am working on a small project which I am inventing from scratch. The idea came from a friend, but the yarn choice, gauge, size, etc are all coming from me. I've made two prototypes already and I'm thinking, thinking, thinking about how to make it better. I've been totally pumped about it since I started work on Saturday evening. I'll share photos and a pattern as soon as I've got a satisfactory model.

Disaster: I lost the entire Crocus cardigan last week, and didn't even miss it. Apparently on Tuesday last week I somehow dropped the Crocus cardigan in my parking garage at work. Maybe it was the over-full knitting bag on my way to Noontime Knitting at work. Maybe I knocked it out of the car on the way home. Who knows? But I was completely clueless, had no idea Crocus was gone.

The rest of the week, I worked on modifying the Fogchaser to be long enough & wide enough to cover me up and made some progress on Meadow Flowers (though there was also some ripping. And you really can't reuse that mohair. Had to clip out the knit part & toss it.) So I really didn't miss Crocus.

On Thursday, one of my colleagues told me that Rosalinda had run into the janitor in the parking garage in the morning and he'd handed her the Crocus cardigan. By sheer luck, Rosalinda has been stopping by the knitting group for the last couple weeks and recognized my project. She brought it safely to my office Friday and I now have it back in my hands.

I'm totally embarrassed that I lost an entire nearly-F-O and didn't even notice. And I can't believe the one person the janitor talked to about this found object in the parking garage turned out to be someone who knew all about it. So Boo for me, Hurray for the janitor and Double Extra Special Hurray for Rosalinda for re-uniting me with my project.

In pennance, I washed Crocus, the finished Icelandinc Beauty dog sweater, and Mystery Object #1 (cool colorway) on Saturday. 4 buttons to sew on and Crocus can be safely delivered to Baby Clara, whose arrival is eagerly awaited this week. The quicker we get this thing out of my house, the better it will be for everyone!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Oh my! You'll have to thank the knitting spirits for getting Crocus back to you.

October 19, 2004 2:27 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Oh my! Something similar happened to our Midsummer Night's Dream cast yesterday. They arrived at their gig yesterday morning and found they were missing three boxes of costumes. So they had to do the show without them. They called me afterward in a panic, and I called their contact from the gig the day before -- turns out while rearranging things in the van they left the boxes sitting in the parking lot. They were still there the following afternoon, praise be to Bacchus, Ganesh, and all other gods of theatre and textiles.

October 21, 2004 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home