Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Summer knitting progress photos

Well, I asked for a summer of cotton, and I've got it in spades. I didn't realize this would also be my blue period! Just call me Ms Picasso. All of today's progress photos are blue cotton UFOs.

First, the Summer Sweater Along, Week 10 update, from July 6. J was on vacation last week, so she either made tons of progress or got a tan... I'll find out tomorrow. T is nearly to the armholes of her first piece. T is acutally making the "Where's the Opaque" sweater, so she started on the front, which is the only opaque piece in the sweater. She is doing the dense work first, ending the front with a sheer bit. We had a little session on how to do decreases and armhole bindoffs before she left for HER week of vacation, so I expect a finished piece when she comes back. After that, all her pieces will be sheer and move much more quickly than the front. H did her gauge swatch, is off by a little bit, and needs to borrow some needles.

Me, I managed to produce a front to the Summer Sweater from June 25 to July 10, and here it is:

img_1772

The silver line across the chest is the (stupid. 14". straight.) needle as of Saturday. Sunday I did the shoulders and the cute pick up/bind off trim around the neckline, which will have to wait for another photo day.

I love the drape of this fabric and the color. Tiny worries plague my mind: But you didn't wash the swatch. What if it stretches? It already hangs at ass-level. Will it reach your knees as it stretches during the day? I'm a little nervous, but I _WILL_ re-knit this if it comes out too large. I love the shape so far.

Next, whales. (Yes, they are really dolphins or porpoises or similar.. but they are stuck with their name.)

img_1771

Here we have 2 fronts, seamed at the shoulders to the back, and half a sleeve. The baby for whom this was designated is already 3 weeks old (today!) and so I am working my hardest on finishing this sweater.

Finally, "Cotton Candy", or Blue Stripes:

img_1770

I *love* this sweater. I love the yarn, the pattern, the trim details. I'm apparently hanging back a little on finishing it - needs only seams on the pockets, buttons and one more trip through the washer to improve shrinkage. Baby Rebekka's birthday is next Wednesday.

And, for those who still remember.. the most significant UFO of them all has seen ZERO action in the past 3 months. Poor OXO Gansey. Poor spouse-o.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Well your knitting is a work of art...

~ Christina

July 16, 2005 5:41 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Aww, thank you! I will feel more like an artist when I cross the line into actual design. But I love these pieces & I'm glad you like them too

July 18, 2005 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your knitting is beautiful! The whales are beautiful, can't wait to catch up with you this Wednesday. Thank you for your good instruction on increases and decreases. I'll have a finished front to show you on Wednesday - see you then.

July 18, 2005 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home