Friday, January 27, 2006

A gallery of finished stuff

A good week for finishing, this. Wednesday evening I got to knit with wizknitter up at the San Mateo Knitters gathering. I sewed in the ends on my dreamy new Anny Blatt angora/ribbon scarf -- a very thoughtful birthday pressie from Ms. Mel. I decided not to the garter & drop stitch pattern offered in the kit, because I wanted a smooth stocknette surface near my neck. Voila, 2 x 2 rib on size 19 needles made this very versatile accessory to match my winter sweaters. Excellent choice, Mel, thank you!

FO 2006-01: Anny Blatt angora/ribbon scarf in color "Riviera" The finishing touch was taking a needle and thread and sewing the ribbon tails firmly to the ribbon they overlapped with, to prevent them just sliding out of the scarf. They made me exceedingly nervous when woven in, hence the extra precaution.

In case you were wondering, No, there should not have been 6 ends of ribbon in this project. I was tricked by the pattern instructions into winding the two yarns together into a ball. Do not believe the pattern when it suggests this unless you really like big loopy knots. Luckily, in these dreamy slippery yarns, the knots tended to slide apart when I looked at them crossly. But the consumption rate of the two yarns was so different that I ran out of angora way before the ribbon. 2 extra ends. Two yarns with such different properties of stretch do not belong in a ball together. Also, never cut just because the pattern says 60" is long enough without trying the scarf on (2 more extra ends). Them suckers are not going to come loose now. That was Wednesday.

This morning, while listening to a Ukrainian database designer critique our server infrastructure (ah, work.), I braided the ties for the Star Bootees. Such a sweet little pattern from Zoe Mellor's "50 Baby Bootees to Knit"Anny Blatt Angora and Ribbon Scarf Kit

FO 2006-02, Star Bootees in Dale Baby Ull. Awwww. Woodga, woodga, woodga, so cute!

And saving the best for last, may I present the sideways sockyarn baby sweater? I ran this little sweater through the washing machine on warm yesterday and laid it out to dry. By noon today it was dry enough to work with, and weirdly, I decided it had to be ironed. Wow, the results were fabulous. The drape and softness of the Opal ZwergerGarn is not to be believed. I loved the Opal when I was working with it, but washing really brought out the snuggly softness of the yarn. I love the buttons, I love the colors in the yarn, I love my rendition of the collar and I really enjoyed working with this cleverly constructed sweaer pattern. All this, and I'm finished 13 days ahead of my nieces birthday. Yes, I'd call it a very good week indeed.

6 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

That sideways baby sweater is too cute for words! As are the booties. :)

January 28, 2006 12:39 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Nice collection of FOs. I especially like the photo of the booties. Great job!

January 29, 2006 12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do they take you knitting at work? Believe me I have wanted to try it but I have been afraid of the reaction (BTW I work in tech too). Hopefully I will make it to the next Meetup.

January 30, 2006 3:04 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

You RULE! Congratulations on all the myriad cuteness.

January 30, 2006 4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a KNITTING GODDESS!!! Very impressive. Mom

January 31, 2006 9:53 AM  
Blogger kathy monahan said...

Is it weird that I really want those bootees? Even though I don't have any children?

February 03, 2006 8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home