Monday, February 13, 2006

Knitting Olympics checkpoint, Day 4

4 days into the Knitting Olympics... and 3 days before Stitches West. I've been working steadily but slowly on my Olympian project and I've achieved 5 inches of armhole depth, on my way to 9". Or course, every row gets longer, so I'm slowing down a bit. May not finish by the deadline, but this project is something I'm *really* proud of so far.

And I've learned several valuable lessons in just 4 days.
  • The math is always right - do not decide '90 stitches sounds too big, I'll just take 4 off'. If the math says 90, cast on 90!
  • Always, no always verify your needle size. I thought I was swatching on 7's, but they were 3's. I like the fabric, so I kept going on the smaller needles, but I'm worried about having enough yardage to finish
  • Use a sharper needle point to pick up in the dark. It took an hour to pick up 37 stitches on my Addis and knit into the back of each strand lifted. Didn't help that I was sitting far from the windows at Sunday's SnB San Jose gathering. It took 10 minutes to do the same on Crystal Palace bambool d.p.n.'s Next time, I will choose the narrower point the first time!
I've collected some progress photos from my 4 days of knitting - plus a bonus birdy photo from Saturday. I hope you enjoy them. As for me, I'm back to the knitting. Gotta hit 6" tonight to stay on target.

Friday, Feb 10 Design phase
Swatch and sketch

Marilyse helped me out with a sketch to make my idea a reality
Design phase

Cast on party! At 8pm, I had all 86 stitches on the needle. Ready to knit
Olympic cast on

Other Olympic knitters and their projects -- lace, Arans, afghans, and socks
Cast on party

Saturday, February 11 Took a break to go birding at Pt. Reyes and found 15 Snowy Plovers.
Snowy Plover

By 1 am, shoulders are ready for sleeve pickup
Olympic progress day 2

Monday, February 13 Starting to look like a sweater! 18 rows into the sleeves
Olympic progress day 4

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you're designing your own pattern. That's awesome! Hope to see you at Stitches. It's been a long time...

February 14, 2006 10:30 AM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Spin-ni-ty! Spin-ni-ty! Spin-ni-ty!
(3 cheers from the cheap seats)

February 14, 2006 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must add, that yarn is to die for! I couldn't stop petting it at lunch yesterday. You are indeed a lucky girl to be getting an entire sweater out of that goodness.

February 14, 2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

"The Math Is Always Right"

I think this needs to be cross-stitched onto a pillow so I can have it in sight every time I knit from now on. Or better yet it needs to be colorworked into a knitted pillow. :)

February 14, 2006 4:46 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Oh, Abigail, you are so right. Seriously. I have **got** to get over thinking "well, that can't be right" just based on numbers I don't like. Must. Believe. Simple. Algebra!

February 14, 2006 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home