Friday, July 14, 2006

Seedless!


Watermelon Socks
Originally uploaded by spinnity.
I love my watermelon socks but the little black dyed-in pips have washed or rubbed off in the three months since I knit them. The black dye seems to have ended up mostly inside my clear plastic clogs. I was sort of mournful about loosing my pips until I realized.

They're seedless now!

I have been thinking about drawing the pips back on with laundry marker, using the remaining ghostly pips as a guide to where to place them. But.. that would be sort of obsessive. And I'm not sure I want to give in to my reputation in that way.

This photo was taken over the July 4th weekend, while I was in Tahoe, visiting Janice. I took some lovely landscape photos as well, from our walk up a fireroad at the Stateline Overlook and a walk in Tahoe Meadows, which was a great location to see mountain birds as well as gorgeous scenery. But the photos are trapped at home, so I'll share them soon.

We had a lovely, busy, holiday weekend. Saw Rita Moreno in The Glass Menagerie at Berkeley Rep on Saturday, spent Sunday and Monday in Tahoe and visited the Marin County Fair on Tuesday for general fair goodness and fireworks. It was one of my Favorite Weekends... Ever. We saw many friends, had lovely food everywher we went (the shawerma in Berkeley... salmon in Tahoe.. fruit salad and corn on the cob in Marin), and really enjoyed being outside together.

I don't know how many people know that county fairs, even here in urban/suburban California, still hold competitions of various arts and crafts, as well as livestock judging. We toured the exhibt hall, viewing crafts and creative writing by kids, the fascinating Art Chairs, and the textile hall. The arrangement of prize-winning items must take the fair coordinators a really long time. It made for a nice diverting, inspiring pathway through the creative work of so many people.

Even though going to the exihibits was my idea, it was Bill who took all the photos of knitted objects at the Marin County Fair, so they are posted under his name. I will leave it to you to check out the whole Fair set at Flickr, but I need to show you just one special object from the knitted entries. It's so special, I'm going to give it a line all by itself.



I know the edge on angle here does not let you see the whole front side of this knitted teacup.. but it is important that you see the size of the lovely blue ribbon this object earned for its maker. This is a knitted teacup decorated with stranded blue wedgewood-style motifs knitted in very very fine yarn using very fine needles. I am knitting socks on zeros right now, and I doubt very much that this was done on anything larger than a size 000 needle. The color work is perfect, the increases are perfect, and if you are the sort of obsessive person who crawls up underneath the display case, you can see that the saucer has a little foot underneath which allows it to rest evenly on the glass shelf. Perfect.

I am so impressed with this work! The vision to knit this delicate teacup.. the skill to knit it... the beauty of the color work. The only thing I can't tell you is WHO made it. Serious lapse on my part! You'd think while I was crawling around under the display case, I might have noticed the name of the knitter. If anyone happens to have been to the fair and sen the name on the label or knows the maker of this teacup, please let me know who should get the credit for this beautiful work.

There were a many beautiful craft entries at the fair. But there were quite a few "just OK" entries as well. Makes ya think, eh? Maybe next year I'll get my act together to enter something in Marin.. or Santa Clara. It'd be kind of fun to have one's work on display next to the cakes and flower arrangements & (Marin, remember) Lego models of Hogwarts. It looks like the deadlines are mostly in May. I'm going to mark my calendar & give it a shot.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

We had a wonderful time in Tahoe as well and were so happy you two could join us. We really need to do that again.

Now about that teacup. That's fabulous work. Double knitted, Wedgewood design, and so beautifully shaped. I wish I could have seen it in person, but maybe it's better that I didn't. It would have been difficult not to pick the darn thing up to get a better look.

July 14, 2006 1:16 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

The nicest seedless watermelons are called Pureheart - you could now call these your Pureheart Socks which I think sounds lovely.

That teacup is fabulous.

July 14, 2006 2:28 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I like Alison's suggestion about the socks.

That cup is amazing. The image of you crawling up under the display case is also highly entertaining. :)

July 14, 2006 9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. The teacup is just amazing and you're socks are great. Funny how they are "seedless" now, huh?

July 16, 2006 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should indeed enter in a fair. I entered one of the first sweaters I knit, which is now really embarrassing becuase it was a piece of crap (in hindsight). However, I've also received best in show for an apple pie! It's fun to enter and even more fun to see what everybody else did.

July 18, 2006 4:41 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

I love your attitude! I might have still been hung up on the fact that I lost the seeds :-)

July 21, 2006 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The teacup is featured in Debbie New's Unexpected Knitting. I don't know if that's Debbie's original cup, or a tribute by another knitter

September 13, 2006 5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home