Thursday, May 25, 2006

Time just keeps moving, doesn't it?

Been a whole week since my last confession, uh... , blog post. What is the deal with time passing? Can't someone get that fixed??

Much activity in the past few weeks, but I'm only here to talk about the Big News in Spinnity's Knitting: a finished sweater for myself! This is literally the first sweater I have knit myself and finished since 1990. (Yes, there was one jacket.. the big, purple Swing Coat from Jaimeson finished in about 2003.. but no sweaters since I returned from Austria.)

Meet Sally's Favorite Summer Sweater, from the Knit Stitch, cast on in May 2005 and finished in May 2006. The yarn is Mirto, by Filatura di Crossa. It's a beautiful yarn, though it has splitting issues.

I sewed in the last ends on Thursday morning last week before work and wore it straight out the door. I also took it on tour to San Mateo Knitters last night. It's kinda long.. and that may turn out to be a problem, but it's a glorious yarn, a great shape and a fun knit for summer. Hurray, sweater!

Tonight I am off to spend my holiday weekend birding near Mojave, CA with my dear spouse-o. Watch his blog for notes about fabulous birds seen in the desert. We might see Scott's Orioles, some warblers who missed their right turn at Texas and are WAY off course, Mountain Quail, and roadrunners. Doesn't that sound exciting?

Tragially, I did not get my Dye-o-Rama box ready to go before our departure, so I will have to ship that next week. Until then, I will remain a founding member of the newly-formed "Machine knit to dye-a-slow-death-by-worry" Club. I am feeling a need to stick up for my dyeing technique, which offers such control and predictabilty... for those who know how to do it. It's hard to be a great defender of the technique at my current level of experise. So I'm worrying:
  • Will she like the color?
  • Will she like how much undyed yarn is showing through?
  • Will the Interlacements Tiny Toes be too fine a gauge for the pattern/yarn/plan of what I dyed?
  • Will she believe us that the crinkly yarn is no problem, you can just knit from the blank?
  • Is this really enough yarn to make socks?
The last worry only got on the list last night, when my brother saw the balls of yarn and said "So, those two balls make one sock, right?". *shudder of horror* "No, no, that's two socks worth of yarn." "Oh, for a child." "No.. for a grown woman." "Huh. Because, you know, those socks WizKnitter is making for me took WAY more yarn than that.". Right. One more worry on the list, then.

You can't get to be in the S.D.b.W.Club without a list, you know. But at our meetings, we cheer each other up with the plus side of our yarn. The colors I *planned* were perfect (if not perfectly executed) and I got to spend the day in the studio with my knit buddies, which was awesome. The finished yarn matches her color preferences and I think it will make beautiful socks.

I just hope they will be socks for adults.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Love the sweater, it looks great on you. Congratulations on completing something for yourself, something that you like!

And I believe I took the S.D.b.W.Club a few minutes ago over IM. My list is the same as yours except for #3. I used a different yarn and didn't use Nancy's formula for cuff/heel, etc.. I sure am glad I didn't hear your brothers comments. They'd have sent me over the edge.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Have a wonderful weekend!

May 25, 2006 3:15 PM  
Blogger Emy said...

I've always been able to make a sock out of 50 grams of sock yarn, and have quite a lot left over.

(And this dye buddy likes her yarn. *g* So quit your worrying!)

May 25, 2006 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater is beautiful! I'll be dyeing your yarn this weekend (although the colors won't be as exact as what you dye). Enjoy your weekend in the desert!

your Dye-O-Rama Swap buddy

May 25, 2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Lovely sweater! Congrats on finishing something for yourself. I'm struggling with that right now. Feh.

I hope your dye buddy has small feet! :)

May 25, 2006 10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is beautiful and looks really great on you. I'm sure your dye buddy will love the yarn. Even if it is a bit short, like mine was, She/he can make shorter cuffed socks. :) Besides, how many people in the world get custom, dyed-just-for-them-by-a-secret-pal sock yarn?? Not many. I know I'll treasure mine, no matter what it looks like when I get it :)

May 26, 2006 12:04 AM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Good picture! I love the sweater. Good for you for making something for you!

And as for those DH socks -- all those fancy ribs take a LOT of yarn. And DH has most likely bigger feet and thicker ankles than your dye-o-rama pal. Plus, they're a skosh big for him (he was between sizes and I went for the bigger size -- next time I think I would do the smaller.) So you should be okay.

May 26, 2006 1:14 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

With the yarn in my possession, I can address (most) of your worries:

1) I love the color!
2) I like the heathered effect with some undyed yarn showing through (I thought it was a "design feature")
3) I'll get back to you on the gauge
4) I love the idea of knitting from the blanks - I'm always dropping my yarn balls and having to chase them down. Not so with this!
5) In a highly scientific experiment, I wrapped a blank around my foot and leg. Should be plenty of yarn for a sock. I'm going to try toe-up just to make sure.

Thanks for the yarn and fun swap goodies - I love it! And congrats on making a sweater for yourself - we knitters need to be selfish sometimes. It looks great!

June 23, 2006 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home