Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Saturday, Sunday, Monday socks

Saturday morning I needed something to keep my hands busy during an all-day first aid class ("Do you need help? I know what to do."), so I pulled out the watermelon yarn I got from
Freshisle Fibers
* and a pair of circs and got busy. What could be more cheering, more hopeful on a rainy cold day of yucky first aid videos than the promise of watermelons in summer??

Well, the sock I knit during class turned out too small, too loose in gauge and the stripes were wrong, wrong, wrong. So when I got home, I started again with smaller needles, 8 more stitches, and yarn pulled from the other end of the ball to fix the stripes. This last point may escape the more creative members of the audience, so I'll explain.

Saturday's socks started with a green stripe and proceeded through light green to red to pink. This is fine if you are drilling a hole into a watermelon from the top. But what if watermelon is sitting on your plate at a picnic? Then these stripes are clearly backwards.

Obviously, the watermelon has to sit on the green rind, then proceed upwards towards the sky through light green, red, and pink. Otherwise, each slice would be balancing on its two little pointy points, and we know that won't work. I had no idea this was going to bug me as badly as it did. But hey, who am I to argue with my literal-minded unconscious?

I knit most of the Right Way Round sock Saturday evening, wathching very bad basketball in the NCAA semi-finals. Have a look at all the gunk I pulled out of the yarn while I was knitting. From here on it was relatively smooth sailing. Sunday was devoted to finishing the Right Way Round sock at SnB San Jose and getting started on the mate.

Monday I worked at home and worked on the second sock during my conference call. I love this view from the home office with official desk chair, office-y furniture, and my half-baked socks.

Worsted weight anklet socks are a very quick knit -- even if you have to pull the toes out several times to get them the right length. Saturday, Sunday, Monday: socks! Today I am wearing the socks out and about with my clear plastic clogs, hoping to brighten Another in our never-ending series of rainy days. I think they are working!


*edited to correct URL for Freshisle Fibers

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was quick! What beautiful socks! I hope they help with banishing this darn rain.

April 04, 2006 8:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are adorable!

Your link to Fresh Isle Fibers needs to be adjusted to http://www.freshislefibers.com/

April 04, 2006 10:33 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Thanks, Jo, correction made.

April 05, 2006 12:07 AM  
Blogger Nik said...

Such a perfect name for this sock yarn. I want to eat your socks*lol*
not really, but you know what I'm saying.

April 05, 2006 9:43 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

*Looooove* the sock yarn & your rationale for frogging & re-doing...the "rindless" cuff *is* much more soothing!

April 05, 2006 11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are even cheerier than I imagined when you described them! And you know, I though you were a bit off when you described the 'wrong' direction sock, but looking at them both together in the picture, I would have done the same thing, it does look just wrong.

April 05, 2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Fun! And they seem to be working for the time being. I see sun! I see sun!

April 05, 2006 1:49 PM  
Blogger kat said...

that yarn is so fun!

April 05, 2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

I think your socks brought us sunshine. Quick, make another pair, the clouds are looming!

April 06, 2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

Absolutely yummy socks!!!!

April 06, 2006 11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the watermelon socks. What a lovely Christmas present for someone's mother they would make. Love Mom

April 08, 2006 7:22 AM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Hey you, I went by Uncommon Threads this afternoon and grabbed that Peter Pan yarn I needed! Also, I ended up with your Vogue Knitting -- are you coming up for meet-up tomorrow, by any chance?

April 11, 2006 5:55 PM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Oh Mary, they are so adorable!!

April 14, 2006 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home