Thursday, September 14, 2006

Knitting v. work

Weird knitting day at work today. An epic struggle fought out in miniature.

First, knitting took a swipe at work. It's the first 90 minute conference call of my day and I'm working on the watermelon socks (aren't they cute? Aren't they fabulous?). Alreay we see the conflict in the very setting of the story. The yin & yang of it. The eternal struggle. I mean, 90-minute conference call: bad. 90 minutes of watermelon knitting: good. Work v. knitting. Knitting v. work.

Ok, so I was changing needles while working around the sock. The tip of a needle must have hooked the edge of a key cap on my keyboard. The needle felt stuck, I pushed a little harder and *whing*, there was the letter F sitting was on the desktop and a big hole in my keyboard. Man, keyboards get really gross inside! That was 11 am. Round 1 of this fight clearly goes to the knitting, showing work who's boss.

But work is not to be kept down like that. With the key cap snapped back on, life goes on until 1:30 pm, when work strikes back.

I'm on yet another conference call -- topic: why so many outages on our servers lately -- when I have the bright idea of trying on the sock-in-progress. Sadly, work distracts me enough so I forget to re-jigger the stitches evenly after the heel. For the heel, you need 12-12-24. After the heel, you rearrange to 16-16-16. But I forgot. I'm in a hurry, I'm on a phone call, and I jam to sock on my foot.

*snap*, I lose a needle. Anyone want to guess whether I had any spares? Want to further surmise whether I had 2 more phone calls to go? And no back-up projects in my bag? Aagh! Work is clearly the victor, defeating knitting in the second round.

Even though work won out today, I have plently of spare needles at home and can return to the battle tomorrow. As a distraction from the pain of losing a needle, I wrapped up the day with lambchops at Birk's with the boss and some other colleagues. It was a very elegant occasion, as you can tell by our lamb chop frenzy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

An epic battle indeed! And as you said, thank goodness for the mute button on your headset. There may have been giggling during the keyboard incident, but what was said when the needle went *snap*?

September 15, 2006 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, I hope you are saving all of your knitting "stories". There's a book in there. Some of them are real
"classics". This latest one is hilarious. (Sorry you lost a needle-but it was funny.) Knitters would howl over this one. Mom

September 25, 2006 7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooh, love Birks. Looks like you worked up an appetite.

October 14, 2006 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home