Sunday, November 04, 2007

More ravelling - all the sock yarn

Hi knitters!

Today was Stash Upload Day 1. I've borrowed a photo backdrop tent from Janice for the weekend to get my stash up on Ravelry. Hah! Despite lofty intentions, I don't think I'm going to get the whole thing done today. I spent pretty much all of today cataloging sock yarn and adding it to Flickr and Ravelry. Just sock yarn.

To make beautiful photos, I've enlisted the help of the spouse to do all the photography and photo editing while I do all the data entry in Ravelry. (Man, do I owe him big time! Spinners in the house all day yesterday and stash photography all day today. Not a very exciting weekend for him! Good thing his new copy of Propellerhead Reason arrived on Friday so was entertained making music while I was spinning.)

The stash upload production line involves keeping the yarn organized in the same sequence it was photographed in. Photo-guy uploads the processed photos to flickr and I add all the tags. Then I can go back to Ravelry and match up the photos with the stashed yarns. I'm up to 67 yarns in my stash - most of them single skeins. And ... they are all sock yarns. I'm beginning to be afraid. Who votes for destashing some of this nonsense, besides Bill??

De-stashing seems more attractive now that I am spinning up some of my fiber supply and making yarns I really want to knit with. At yesterday's spin-in, I tried desperately to avoid plying my 3-ply because it sucked so bad last time -- I was sure I would be bad company. But some hot tips from Margit got me on a better track and I spun a very consistent 3-ply which appears to be much finer and much softer than my first 4 oz. of this "Fall Squall" Corriedale dyed by Judy's Novelty Wool.

It's still on the bobbin - but I'm quite, quite pleased with my progress and can't wait to swatch this second bobbin which is probably closer to a worsted weight, 5 sts/inch yarn. I've got two more 4 oz. lots of this fiber queued up to spin.. as soon as I finish photographing the Dale Baby Wool, which is next in the Stash Upload queue.

8 Comments:

Blogger theknitist said...

Your new handspun turned out soooo beautifully! And you've inspired me to have a photo shoot morning today. I have about 3 or 4 FOs that need their pics taken, not to mention 2/3 of my stash is still not on ravelry. You're lucky you had help.

November 05, 2007 5:44 AM  
Blogger AngeliasKnitting said...

Thanks for the comment! Wow - your sock looks great!! I love how the yarn turned out (you never know these things, as you're dying it). It makes me want to knit some socks with the other yarn I dyed around that time.

November 05, 2007 6:14 AM  
Blogger Margit Sage said...

Nice photos! I love the Fall Squall. Let me know if you decide to de-stash!! (says the woman with over 43 miles of yarn in her stash...)

November 05, 2007 8:23 AM  
Blogger Bogie said...

The stash photos look great, as does your Fall Squall. Some day I'll try my hand at a 3 ply (STR Sheep2Shoe). Thanks for hosting another spin-in, I wish I was a more energized for the shin-dig but I'm sure you understand.

November 05, 2007 9:19 AM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

That is a serious amount of sock yarn! I starting photographing my stash and became very afraid so I put it away and am not sure I want to pull it out and have another go. Although I agree that an assistant is a wonderful idea! (Hey Bryan...?)

The 3-ply looks great and I think I might actually have the courage to get my 2-ply done soon after watching you!

November 05, 2007 11:57 AM  
Blogger CoasterMeg said...

Oh yeah... on the same wavelength. I was just thinking the other day that it was time to just come clean and drag everything - every little ball/hank/skein/pile of knots, and every semi-started what-was-I-thinking? project - out to the dining room table and just get shootin'. It's not like I have to go buy film or anything - just do it!

(All that's sock yarn, huh? And I thought I was bad about sock yarn! You win!)

- Meg

November 07, 2007 11:47 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Wow, I'm impressed you were able to get the spouse to help. Lucky you!

~ Christina

November 10, 2007 10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

regarding sock yarn---WOW!!!!! Mom

November 15, 2007 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home