Friday, January 28, 2005

Dear Internet: what shoes should I wear? Love, spinnity

*** UPDATE, Feb 1 ***

Several people asked for a view of the Via Spiga Serge shoes _with_ the dress. Your wish is granted.. at least as long as you only wanted to see the hem of the dress AND you don't mind the condition of my legs. Via Spiga is clearly the front runner in the voting so far.

******

To review: Standing up in brother's wedding, in March, in a chestnut brown chiffon dress. Two other ladies in the wedding party are wearing the same dress in apple green - a pastel green like the skin of a granny smith, with more white mixed in. Dress arrived Jan 3. Foundation garment has been obtained. Now it's time for shoes.

buzzed into Nordstrom's and picked up 3 pairs of shoes tonight. Surely one of these three (or maybe the 2 other ideas I found on the Internet...) will work for the wedding, I hope, I hope! Since I take it as read that all of you know more about shoes than I do, I'd love it if you would give me some girly/creative advice on these choices

These are the 3 I actually have:

Munro HEART

** Only shown in black on this web page - but the ones I have are dark chocolate brown. These I am keeping whether I wear 'em for the wedding or not. The brown is a little darker than the dress, but the HEART is so cute & wedding-y. Very sensible heels, too.

Linea Paulo - MEDDY

** In Kiwi. This green is probably a good match for the other dresses - and the brown trim on this one is a nice integrating touch. But the heel is a little too casual, maybe? And the flower has 6 points ... not 5, like a certain engagement ring.

Via Spiga SERGE

** This is a very vintage-looking shoe in suede. I can just imagine R wearing shoes like these. The matte surface complements the chiffon of the dress. I have the brown/green colorway.. and I'm worried that the green is very OLIVE and might not be appropriate with the bright & pastel colors of the rest of party. I figgered the men might go to some of the darker greens in their ties or whatever. But there is also a lovely pink & brown look in this shoe - perhaps that would work. I really like this one, I just want to make sure the color is good before committing.

Then there are the two -- late-entry Internet contenders that showed up as I was looking up links for the 3 I already have. I have not had these on my feet nor seen the greens in person, but they look cute on the web pages.

Via Spiga sandals - BELLEZ - in kiwi

** I love these, they are shaped *sorta* like what Sarah's looked like and they *might* be a nice complement to the green dresses.

Via Spiga - GARR - slingbacks in a color called Cedro

** Roughly the same green as above - in a very different shape

So there you have it. The non-girly girl with no shopping buddies bought some shoes & needs help choosing! I would love to hear your opinions on them!

Love from your shoe-challenged pal,

- spinnity

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous dress! All the shoes look great -- I don't think you can go wrong! -emily

January 29, 2005 7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,

It was nice to speak to you last night and you described the shoes so well over the phone. I was excited to see them all this morning. :) I think that my favorites are the Via Spiga Serge, they are adorable! I believe that you are right on about them coordinating with the guys, but Rebecca can weigh in much better than I on that subject. There's my 2 cents, speak to you soon! -Susan

January 29, 2005 9:43 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I vote for the heart shoes. they look like the best combination of pretty and comfortable. I might be biased, though, because anything with a spiky heel makes me feel like I'm going to break my ankle.

I think the slides are too casual too. Cute, but casual.

I definitely have opinions about shoes! :)

January 29, 2005 10:04 PM  
Blogger Ilona said...

I have to agree with the person who liked the Serge shoes. I LOVE the vintage round-toed look. However, I'm also thinking that one of the open sandal-y type shoe like the Bellez would look nice for an outdoor wedding.

January 30, 2005 12:45 AM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Tough choices! I like Munro shoes a lot. That latex sole is so comfortable. Is the wedding outside? If you're going to be walking on a lawn or other soft surface, a thicker heel (like on the Heart shoes) would be better. If it's an indoor affair, my top picks are Serge, Garr, and Bellez. Bellez may not be comfortable enough though--I'm miserable if my feet hurt. Serge vs Garr... For that dressy dress, I'd lean (ever so slightly) towards the higher heel.

January 30, 2005 6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Serge are good if you want a vintage look, I love the color combos. They tie the bride and groom's side together nicely.

Speaking as someone who owns the Bellez (in black) I love them! They are very fun and flirty and I think the strappiness would work great with the chiffon of the dress, though I'd see if they come in a brown.

One thing to note though, I'd wear them around a few days to get used to the little heel. I find I need to put more weight on my toes when wearing these shoes, that said, they're my favorite black summer shoe. I wear them with everything from jeans to skirts.

-Mel

January 30, 2005 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, FYI:

I found "Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton's Book 2" at The Yarn Place today in Capitola. I was really surprised at the yarn selection they had. They even had some Noro that nobody has. I'll bring my book on Wed so you can look through it to see if it's worth the trip to Santa Cruz. I'll also bring my Debbie Bliss book and you can flip through that too.

January 31, 2005 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I *love* the retro suede ones, but here are a few more options:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1977990/c/436.html
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/2454149/c/1781.html (perhaps too wacky, these)
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/3043044/c/27321.html (can't tell whether that's brown or not?)
http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1992284/c/14406.html

:-)

-gina

February 01, 2005 2:36 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Wow, this is definitely the way to go if you want to get comments on shoes! Seems like knitting girls are also shoes girls. I have to agree with Mel that whatever you wear, wear them around the house a little first. I did that with my bride shoes and they are starting to feel familiar even though they are high.

For me, the clincher was when my alterationist told me my shoes looked like they were made to go with the dress. I'd love to see your Serges together with the dress.

February 01, 2005 2:46 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

I too like the Via Spiga Serge shoes. They look great with the dress. And you look so feminine in that photo. ;)

~ Christina

February 01, 2005 5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the shoes in the picture! They really go well with the dress!!Have you decided? Mom

February 02, 2005 10:55 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Okay, I'm sold on the Serge shoes. You officially have my blessing. ;)

February 02, 2005 8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home