Friday, January 21, 2005

Sometimes they come back.. like boomerangs

Remeber way back in February of last year I made the first of the Fuzzy Stripey hooded cardigans? Well, it's back. Turns out baby Jake is, um, portly in the tum. If this sweater was just 2 inches wider (24" finished "chest" instead of 20"), it would fit him for another 4 months. So back it came. An says she washes it by hand & dries it flat.. and it's been washed about a dozen times. It looks great for a well-used sweater

On Thursday I knit up the first 'expansion panel', using separate lengths of cream and blue yarn cut from the ball. I carried the unused color up the side and compared my new panel against the striping on the front to make sure it matched. At the top of the 6th stripe, I started decreasing pretty agressively down to 5 stitches. Then I dropped the center stitch all the way back to the ribbing to make in Elizabeth Zimmerman fake seam stitch - easier than I though it would be in this goofy chenille yarn. I decreased in 2 more rows down to 1 stitch. I think of my little add-on panel as a 6-stripe-tall rectangle with a 2 stripe triangle on top. I haven't sewn it in yet, but I think this is going to work... what do you think?

img_6432

The fake seam stitch is doing it's job very well - the panel folds right down the center very nicely.

1 Comments:

Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

How clever! I am currently thinking of ways to make the sleeves on Blue Cardy a bit longer since CNITU is pretty big for a 2-year-old.

January 26, 2005 3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home