Friday, January 14, 2005

Who says they're just for show?

I love my Regia clear plastic boots, designed to show off my hand-knitted socks. They were a gift from my very indulgent mother (hi Mom!) a couple years ago. I usually wear them to work a couple times during the rainy season and they are always worth a smile or two.

Well, this weekend I took them with me "in the field" to go birding in the rain. Here's a photo of my show-off boots in the mud at Bolinas Lagoon

img_6068

(I'm sitting on the bumper of a car, wearing my waterproof pants, eating lunch after seeing a YELLOW RAIL, one of the coolest life birds ever.)

The birding was great and I came home with a cold that just won't quit. Coughing, snotty head, tired & achey. Lots of napping and early bedtimes since we got back on Tuesday night.

In the field, I cast on & knit about 30% of my secret project. I thought I was going to be working on the Diamond Seed Baby Jacket (DSBJ) from Interweave Knits, but my gauge came out way wrong and I didn't have the right needles to switch to. So the secret project got a bit of a boost in the queue and is now 50% complete.

Today I went to Uncommon Threads to buy the size 2's for DSBJ. I was looking also for sock yarn to make socks to match my purple rain jacket and purple birding sweater, but there was not much selection in stock right now. Instead, I came home with the needles and couple new baby pattern books. After I'd actually left the shop, I had to go back inside to have a look at "Not Just socks" by Sandy Rosner

I like several of the projects in here, but it was the spirally gauntlets on the cover that caught my eye. Back in sock yarn land, Uncommon Threads had a sample pair knit up. I love them. I bought some Meilenweit Fun & Stripes yarn to make them on the spot. Mmm. Stripey gauntlets!



Finally, on a lighter note, badgers. Tee hee.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can buy Meilenweit Fun & Stripes at Knitty Noddy (www.knitty-nodddy.com)! It's even on sale right now!

January 14, 2005 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you liked the badgers, have you seen the potter one?
http://thefifthdistrict.com/potter/
-emily

January 14, 2005 9:11 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Those boots are great! Are they comfortable?

I hope you feel better.

January 15, 2005 11:17 AM  
Blogger Ilona said...

Off the topic of this post, re: yarn for clapotis: I would recommend a yarn that's smoother than fuzzier, a yarn you would love to wrap around your neck, and a yarn that has a bit of drape (silk blends are luxurious and would give it a lovely sheen and drape) - however, I've also seen some beautiful Clapotis that were knit with a single ply worsted wool. I think any yarn (probably a worsted) that feels good on your neck and would go with your wardrobe will look lovely.

January 15, 2005 12:20 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

I like the stripy gauntlets, too! I really want a pair of those for typing in the morning when the office is closed.

January 26, 2005 3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home