Monday, July 18, 2005

Knitting in the park

I had such a lovely Sunday of knitting after a knit-less week. Stitch-n-Bitch group at OVC was all regulars, just 7 of us. I asked for feedback on the Summer Sweater and we decided it was too long - especially between the armholes and the neckshaping. Janice helped me measure it on my body. I'm going to ravel back 3 inches above the armholes & re-knit the neck shaping. K & C and Abigail were of the opinion that it is too shapeless, and that shapeless people need structure in their sweaters, but they wouldn't offer any opinions about whether I am the sort of shapeless person to whom that applies. For the rest of my time at SnB, I also worked out how to make the sleeve caps for the whales and then knit the first one completely wrong. That was all the time I had for SnB and off I dashed.

Hubby and I swung by Whole Foods for delicious picnic items (Mango Arugula Salad - my new favorite!) and arrived at Free Shakespeare in the Park in Cupertino by 6:10 pm. Knuknitter had staked out a fabulous set of lawn seats for us. We got to attend a bit of the SF Shakes reception before the knitters arrived around 6:30. Knitting Meetup members Christina, Jeff and Sheetal joined us for the performance of Much Ado About Nothing - Sheetal sporting her gorgeous Rosedale. We knit right through to the intermission with good light and some of us kept going in the dark.

The play was very well done - spouse-o and I thought it was their best show in Cupertino yet. The setting looked like WWI era Spain and the ladies' dresses were very evocative of small town life. Beatrice and Benedick were both well-played with a bit more emotion than usual and a very fine scene when Beatrice asks Benedick to kill Claudio. Two minor characters who really struck us were Don John and Dogsbody - Don John was more of a comic villain than in recent productions we've seen, and honestly, he makes a bit more sense that way. Dogsbody, on the other hand, was more human, especially in the speech where he is upset about not having been writ down an ass - where he sobbed a bit in "that hath had losses". Margaret, also, was sharp-witted & bright.

My accomplishments for the day: finished sleeve #1 of the whales and worked sleeve #2 up to the point where the whale motif is required. Just a bit of intarsia and sleeve cap shaping left to go, hurray.

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

It was great to see you at the park. We'll have to do that again sometime!

~ Christina

July 18, 2005 7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe our opinion was that both shaped and shapeless people need shaping. Shaping is good for everyone! But then, what do we know?

Kristi

July 19, 2005 8:59 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

What Kristi said... we were talking about the two extremes, Cookie refering to herself on one, and me refering to myself on the other. My personal feeling about that sweater is that being somewhat top heavy in the boob department, it would fall straight down and obscure the fact that I do have a waist. That is why I was saying I'd want shaping if I were going to wear it.

Anyway, as Kristi said, what do we know? :)

July 19, 2005 9:51 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Shaping, shapely, shapeless. lol

Here's one vote for Shapely!

I think you'll be happy with shortening the sweater to the measurements in the schematic. I can't wait to see it with the side seams & sleeves done!

July 20, 2005 1:09 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Hooray for knitting in the park! And I thought your comments about Much Ado were right on. I'm glad you liked Karla as Margaret -- I think she's superb and she doesn't get noticed enough.

July 25, 2005 5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home