Thursday, August 04, 2005

Grannyfest 2005

We're off this weekend to visit my Granny in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. I love visiting there. We get to see the much-beloved relatives, re-visit lots of familiar places, and see a few "eastern" birds.

Yes but why is Grannyfest held on the first weekend in August? Well, Saturday is Granny's birthday. Doh! I have no present! I was so busy prepping to leave that I forgot the purpose. Bad grand-daughter. Clearly this is a job for a Last Minute Knitted Gift.

I had a brain flash last night around midnight & decided to try the Flower Basket Shawl from Interweave Knits Fall 2004 (about halfway down the page). I'm using some of the alpaca I have stored up from my generous bro-in-law, the South American archaeologist. (You would not believe how much alpaca I have from this source!)

So before going to bed, I pulled out 4 dark blue skeins of DK weight Alpaca and started knitting. I've got 3 lace repeats done out of 9 (for a quite short "shawl".. more of a pretty triangular scarf) and the blocking instructions sound perfect for a hotel room!

Looking around the 'net today for ideas on whether DK-weight alpaca would make a nice-looking Flower Basket, I found a suggested pattern modification at I'm Knitting As Fast As I Can, under September 17. This knitter used a balanced double decrease instead of a left-slanting one. I see why she likes it - the centered double decrease makes a nice, regular lace pattern, and it does eliminate the problem of asymmetry, but I like the original better. I like the woven, basket-y feeling of the slanty decreases. I can imagine the bent twigs used to weave my baskets.

So I'll be weaving baskets across the country tomorrow and soaking up midwestern culture the next few days. Don't be surprised if I come back sounding like the sheriff from Fargo!

"Okay, bye now!"

5 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Have a great trip!

~ Christina

August 04, 2005 8:39 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Have a good trip!

I have a skein of yarn waiting to become that flower basket shawl too, so I would be interested in seeing a picture of how yours turns out!

August 05, 2005 2:55 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Hope you're having fun! I wish I could be there.

August 07, 2005 2:17 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Hokay, have a great time, hewbetcha, uh-huh, uh-huh see ya soooon doan-cha-know.

August 07, 2005 11:12 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

The shawl looks great and it looks like Granny likes it! Just the thing for those snowy evenings to come.

August 08, 2005 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home