Monday, September 12, 2005

Easy knits for the stuffy head

Last week was lost to my snuffy head. There was lots of napping and staring vacantly into space, but no housework, no work work, and no progress on my many overdue works-in-progress. But I did manage to pull off a few easy knits before and after the Lost Week.

Over Labor Day, I knit this trio of Instant Scallop-brimmed Hats, using Cascade Jazz. It's a rather lurid color, but I find it cheering. Be sure to click on the small picture of hats to admire the scalloped brims!

img_3983

The pattern is very firm in noting that you have to use a yarn with a pronounced difference between the thick and thin parts to get anything like scalloping. I think I should have done more to bunch the thick parts together, to make the brim even more scallop-y. Maybe a little spritz of water and some pinching will make me happier with the brims.

The yarn came from this summer's Stash Swap at knitting meetup - formerly, it lived with Christine. The hats took about 70 yards of yarn, which means my 4 skeins, at 54 yards each, translated pretty darn well into 3 hats. I finished the knitting Monday night as I started snuffling and wove in the ends at yesterday's stitch-n-bitch.

Tuesday through Friday there was zero knitting. I was just so tired and listless the whole week. In fact, I missed Meetup on Wednesday, which was a bummer, but clearly the right choice. Sorry meetup gang, we'll have to collect our SPCA charity mousies next time!

Saturday after the not-so-cleverly-timed, but very fun, party at my house for my spouse-o's photography challenge pals, I thought maybe I had the gumption to tackle garter stitch. Mel, who was at the party with her photographing spouse, inspired me with her knitterly productivity - she was busily knitting up 2 socsks using Magic Loop and then "2 Socks 2 Circs".

So I pulled out a sequin scarf I had started last wek and finished it up before bedtime.

img_3978

This scarf takes 1 skein of Great Adirondack Sequin and 4 hours to knit. Good recovery knitting. I made another one on Sunday, in the same olive/taupe/maroon color as one I made last December. I think they are both Christmas prezzies for my cousin's wife & kid, whom I saw in August. They admired the sequin scarf I wear all the time, thereby earning themselves a Hand Knitted Gift.

As I was finishing up the second scarf, I started to get excited about a certain oddball Christmas knitting project I've had in mind. So I must be on the mend. In fact, just now I swallowed & got the hearing back in one of my ears. A clear sign I am returning to health and should get started knitting MORE PROJECTS, bwahahahaha!

6 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Good to hear you're feeling better. Cute hats and scarf!

September 12, 2005 3:49 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better!

That's a lot of knitting to finish for not having done any knitting. ;)

September 12, 2005 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're healthy again...that's more productive than I am on vacation in perfect health.

September 12, 2005 6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks like a bit of knitting is good while recovering from a cold. glad you're better. hope to see your FOs this weekend.

September 16, 2005 9:10 AM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Too sick to knit! Never thought I'd hear the day. Poor muffin, glad things are better and your sequined scarves are really lovely.

September 16, 2005 2:11 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well. And I'm happy to hear you found theright pattern for that Jazz yarn.

~ Christina

September 23, 2005 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home