Sunday, August 28, 2005

Steam treatment fixes all

So for about 4 weeks, I've been knitting Devan from knitty. About 3 weeks ago, Christiane at Knitting Meetup expressed concern that the sweater was not wide enough for the 1-2 yr old size I am knitting. I worried silently for a while, and checked my gauge compared to the gauge swatch. Guess what? Swatch was at 7.5 sts/inch. Fronts are at 8.5 sts/inch. And therefore too narrow.

I've been very conscious of gauge since this little wakeup call and the back is coming out the right width. But the max width of the fronts was about 6 inches, while the back is the proper 13.5 inches per the pattern.

So, last night I steamed the crap out of the fronts.

img_3104

In this photo you can see the right side pinned out and all the other pieces resting after their ordeal. I pinned one side of each front and then used my iron on a wool setting with a lot of steam. I pulled towards the middle until the fronts were wide enough. Below, you can see that the steaming worked.. the fronts are now approximately wide enough, even without their cute little rolled edgies. (See the army green of the back peeking out between the fronts?)

img_3107

But in the photo below, we can see that the fronts are also about an inch too tall, so I'll be taking an 6-8 rows out of the fronts before sewing up.

img_3109

I'm over the moon pleased about the success of the steaming. Not to mention that I'm going great guns on the back - I've got 10.5 inches and I'm almost ready to insert the little patch detail. I'm totally in love with this project. The cuteness of the pattern, the striping in the sock yarn, and the success of the steam treatment are all working so well.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 28, 2005 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 28, 2005 2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 28, 2005 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

August 28, 2005 2:47 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Yikes--looks like the spammers have been busy.

Hey, Devan looks fantastic! The rest of the back is going to fly especially with the patch of patterned yarn and the armhole decreases.

See ya real soon!

August 28, 2005 3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I guess I'd missed the pattern in Knitty for this cute little sweater. Not that your pieces don't look amazing, but I was having a hard time with the concept of sock yarn and then a solid color in the back, and a patch of sock yarn in the middle of said back. But after looking at the picture, the light bulb went on, so to speak. And Voila! I get it! I can't wait to see it all put together so I can appreciate it properly. It'll be so darling!

August 29, 2005 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray, you got the width fixed! I know you were worrying about that. I love the colorway on this pattern too, the subtle blues and green look so cute for a little guy.

August 29, 2005 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home