Monday, August 22, 2005

A-tisket, a-tasket, a finished Flower Basket

I blocked the Flower Basket shawl for Granny on Saturday night. The finished measurements of the triangle are 53" wide and 25" tall - so I'm really glad I added one extra flower basket repeat. I've got before and after pictures for ya:

Before                               After
img_2722    img_2870

See the flower baskets? Aren't they cute?? Once I put it on, I got a little jealous of Granny's new "shawl" (shawlette? scarf? It's not very large, that's for sure!). I'm in love with the color. If I decide to make another, I would go a litle bigger. I think the ends would tie better at 60" than they do at 53, especially on a larger lady. Bird-like granny will have no trouble tying the ends.

On another topic.. In the "After" photo, I am standing in my guest bedroom, a.k.a. the Loombrary, a.k.a. the knitting room. I've got a denim sofa-bed in here and a full bathroom for guests. Usually the loom lives in here, but it's on walkabout just now in my bedroom. Stash also lives in the Loombrary, "mostly" in the closet. But the reason I bring it up today is... the Macrame Owl. I don't know how this topic came up at knitting meetup at the beginning of August, but I promised Christiane a picture of the owl

From my childhood, I have a great fondness for macrame owls. I remember a 9" tall black and gold owl in my mom's kitchen in about 1976. Perched between twigs, the owl was so cute! But the 70's passed, and the owls all disappeared. I didn't really know how much I missed them until I was helping my friend Nancy move about 4 years ago. There, on her Goodwill pile: a GIANT 3 foot tall Big Daddy macrame owl. I pounced! Now the owl observes everything that goes on in the Loombrary

img_2867

Nancy didn't put up much of a fight when I nabbed the owl. I might be the only macrame owl fan left. Jeni noticed on Saturday that the owl's beak is a totally specialized part - beak shaped, with a hole drilled so it can be threaded into the macrame. It must have been some sort of kit, way back when. I've never tried macrame myself, but I have a feeling that some day, I will have to make my owl a mate! I guess I'd better be on the lookout for eyes-and-beak kits!

8 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Very nice. I like the baskets a lot, and wished I could fondle the shawl a bit more, but the angora content put the kybosh on that. Your Gran is going to love it!

About the macrame... by the time the '70's passed, I think ALL of the macrame disappeared. I remember going to the craft store and buying cord, beads, and T-pins. We made belts, plant hangers, necklaces (more likely chokers), wall hangings, you name it. I think my sister might have even made a garment or two. One thing I don't think we ever made was an owl. Maybe it's time to brush up on the square knots and half-hitches, eh?

August 22, 2005 4:22 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

The shawl looks great! It's prettier in person, of course, but aren't most knitted things?

I can't wait to start mine.

August 22, 2005 4:38 PM  
Blogger Emy said...

Ooh, my mom's a total packrat, and a lover of owls in general, so I'd be willing to bet that somewhere in her house there's a macrame owl. Seriously.

August 22, 2005 6:12 PM  
Blogger Toni said...

You're a strong woman to be giving away such a beauty. Great job!

August 22, 2005 6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just lurve that owl. The shawl came out really beautiful. Congrats.

August 22, 2005 9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary-the macrame owls haven't disappeared. The black and gold one is still hanging on the kitchen wall (a little dusty) and the rusty brown one the Johnson's gave me years ago is in the computer room-sort of hidden by the clothes tree. Do you want them? You could have an owl collection. Mom

August 23, 2005 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flower basket shawl is lovely! I'll bet you it would feel just yummy if you made one with that alpaca yarn I've got. I may have to ponder that.

As to the owl, I am the culprit for that topic of conversation. My friend gives terrible wedding presents and in retaliation my other friend created a crochet owl reminicent of the macrame owls of the 70s (using a vintage pattern of course) while I created the scary ski masks (also from a vintage pattern). I was working on those masks at Meet-Up and told you the story of the masks and the owl.

That said, I love the owl you have, it looks just like the one my parents had in the living room when I was growing up. Wonder if they still have it, I could give your owl a mate too.

August 23, 2005 3:54 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Wow, I can see what's going to happen here, you're going to become one of those people who mentions casually at some family-and-friends get-together that she likes cows, or enjoys going to lighthouses, and then must forever be the recipient of ceramic cows and lighthouse paintings.

August 26, 2005 1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home