Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Day 11 and I just might make it

I have a bunch of photos to post from Stitches West, but today's big deal is my Knitting Olympics project. I ripped back an entire sleeve Sunday (sob!) and started again with fewer stitches cast on under the arm. I finished both sleeves late Sunday night, very late. Knit one, purl one, cast off one, zzzzz..... , what, what, WHAT? Oh knit one, cast off one, zzzzz....... I think we were watching some sort of skiing on our Tivo'ed Olympic marathon, but I was so sleepy, I can't even remember.

Tonight at our Knitspiration knitting guild meeting, I picked up under the arms for the body and proceeded downward. That was good for about 10 rows. Here at home, the Tivo'ed gold medal women's hockey match was good for another 8. So, boom. There ya go. Two inches of body plus 2 short-rows inserted on each side in front. Feeling pretty pleased, I laid the sweater out on the floor to take a picture and magnetically attracted Miss Arlie, shown here helping place the button Just Right. (Button by Sheila Ernst, www.glasspens.com)

From the try-on photo, we can see I have a ways to go, but I am quite hopeful now. If I can do 2 inches without any daytime knitting at all, I bet I can finishe the body by Friday, leaving Saturday for a massive seed stitch-a-thon around the border while we are watching all three Lord of the Rings movies. I can almost smell that gold medal!

The only real problem with my Olympic knitting obsession is that I'm getting completely out of phase with my man. He has been getting up wicked early to go take photos like this fabulous Steller's Jay taken Monday morning:


Steller's Jay, copyright 2006, William F. Walker

... and I am staying up wicked late knitting. Pretty soon, it will be like the change of shifts in a factory. "Morning, Sam." "Morning, Ralph." Guess that's my cue to go to bed.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...sam...ralph. The Olympics ends Sunday, then everything goes back to normal...dinner gets made...laundry gets done...the dog gets a walk. That's what I keep sayin' to everyone at Chez Knitist anyway.

Your sweater is looking amazing! You can totally finish it by Sunday. Hey maybe we should have some special Closing Ceremony thingy at the SnB?

February 21, 2006 7:39 AM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Your sweater looks great. Sorry about the ripping/reknitting, but as I'm following your progress, I'm thinking it's part of the process of designing. Love the button!

February 21, 2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

I think you're going to win! My first sock is done, I have to add photos and post tonight. Not sure I'm going to manage the second.

February 21, 2006 2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater is looking good! The LOTR marathon is a good idea - I may just do that as well

February 22, 2006 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home