Friday, March 17, 2006

That spinning day

March 4 -- two whole weeks ago, I'm so behind the times! -- was spin-in day at my house. I posted a bunch of photos at flickr from the event. It was really more of a learning day than a spinning day. We had one accommplished spinner, two enthusiastic sorta-know-what-we're-doing spinners, and 8 spinning newbies. Two newbies left with tiny skeins of their own yarn and two left with spun fiber on their own wheels. Have a look at the photos to see us all hard at work.

Meanwhile, here in the present, it's a busy week of going to the theater (Anna in the Tropics, at Theatreworks last night), watching college hoops, and a surprise all-day birding outing tomorrow. Although the theater wasn't really conducive to knitting, there are long boring stretches in basketball-watching and in driving to and from our birding outing. I started a Baby Surprise Jacket last Sunday in anticipation of needing a lot of boring garter stitch this week. (Yes, janice, I ripped it back to the goofed up decrease. And ripped again when I goofed up the increases the same way :-) )

The BSJ is just about perfect for knitting during basketball games or while serving as navigation officer in the car. I rather expect to have an F.O. to show off by the end of the weekend. Maybe more, if the BSJ goes faster than expected.

Here's a funny moment at knitting meetup this week. I was declaring my intention to knit another pair of A Step Ahead socks, using some Tuscany-colored Lorna's Laces when I finish "that jacket". "Oh," said Mel.. working on a super-cute tank top in a springy green Louisa Harding tape yarn, "you mean the Fog chaser?" "No," said Jasmine, working on pink lace, "the whales cardigan she was working on last week" No, you guys, I mean the 'Limpets Cardigan. Are ya keeping score out there? That makes 3 Unfinished jackets in my UFO pile. Houston, we have a problem.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Ripped x 2? Ouch. At least it's a relatively small project. Huh. With small needles. Nevermind.

Another pair of ASAs? Me too!

And isn't it fun when your knitting buds remember your unfinished projects--and bring them to the forefront? I mean, it's not like we *forget* what's on the needles, but in our own minds we can set them aside for a while... until someone mentions them.

It's kind of like "the project(s) that shall not be named".

Like Threepenny. Rats! Did I say that outloud?

March 17, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Sorry I missed you guys at Meetup this week. Work has been out of control. Glad to hear everyone was paying attention to your WIP list. :)

And thanks again for hosting us at the spin-in. As one of the 8 newbies it was really helpful to get together with others and watch how its done!

~ Christina

March 17, 2006 7:21 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

that's so awesome. I've never spun with anyone before. Was this organized through y'alls normal knitting meetup?

May 04, 2006 12:26 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Yah, Lori. A bunch of newbie spinners wanted a "getting started" day. Since then, a couple of us have been hankering for a "we kinda / really already know how to spin" day of group spinning. I have some awesome fiber I got at stitches, but I never actually spin. A group spin-along day once in a while would be really fun.

May 05, 2006 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home