Monday, February 27, 2006

Olympic results: DNF

There's no closing ceremony picture of me wearing my knitted garment. I'm 5 rows into 9 rows of seed stitch to edge the garment, so I'm very, very close, but I did not medal in the Olympics. Like all Olympians, I grew from the experience, learned a lot and had experiences I would not have had without the Knitting Olympics, but my final result is: Did Not Finish the race.

I think the main obstacles to completion were
  • a) Day job - ugh. Why must there be day jobs?
  • b) Stitches West -- classes and homework definitely took a good 2 days out of my knit
  • c) fluffing off on Friday night to test-knit a pattern Mel is working on
Those were choices I made and they affected my performance. Kinda like Bode Miller and the pickup basketball game.

Although I will not be taking home a medal of any sort, I *will* be taking home a fabulous knitted garment in the next few days and I'm really happy with my accomplishments. My only disappoinment is not around the Olypmic event itself -- it's that I am not able to wear the as-yet-unnamed Olypmic cardigan right, right now. It's going to be great when I finish. For my next feat, I should definitely tackle the same type of knitting with an all-over pattern and possibly a bit more attention to the proper sizing of the upper back & sleeve. Maybe in cotton!

Photos when I'm done. I'm predicting Wednesday. 600 stitches of seed stitch per row.. 5 more rows to finish & bind off. Then I might adjust the sleeves a little... maybe 3/4ths length sleeves if I have enough yarn left, defintely add a bit of taper. Anyway, miles to go. Better get back to the knitting.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if you didn't medal, I think it's great that you chose a project that was a challenge and that you learned a lot from. It will also be beautiful whenever you finish it. You go, girl!

February 27, 2006 4:08 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Oh, PLEASE don't compare yourself to that annoying Bode Miller. I am thinking pleasantly of such admirable athletes as Sasha Cohen, Lindsey Jacobellis, and Daniel Kass. Silver ain't so bad, even if, like Jacobellis, it comes from biting off a little more than you can chew, as I did.

I have to say, after having read the Yarn Harlot's tale of caffeine and a cramped left hand, I'm glad I chose to sleep, breathe, and generally look after myself instead of staking it all on a finish. If I'd stayed up all night on Saturday I could have done it, but what state would I be in now? Not worth it.

And as you said yourself, the sweater is the real reward. I think the best thing about the Olympics was that it made me cast on the second sock right away instead of procrastinating.

February 27, 2006 4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your finishing. Can't wait to see the finished product.

February 27, 2006 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely not Bode Miller... I don't think you were partying hard and thus blew it... And, you had a very ambitious project! I can't wait to see it.

February 27, 2006 6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater, when it's finished, will be better than some metaphorical gold medal. It's an angora sweater, for heaven's sake. And it's gorgeous! Congrats for being nearly done, it really is be-u-tee-full!

February 27, 2006 7:28 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I am looking forward to seeing the sweater, even if you didn't make it under the wire! :)

February 27, 2006 8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home