Monday, March 06, 2006

A game of fours, plus a review

That meme.. the one Mel laid on me couple weeks back. I finally answered it.

But first.. did anyone watch the new Stitchcraft TV show yesterday? OK, it had the tiniest bit of useful knitting content, but I didn't like it that the entire episode was 100% Vogue content without any statement about whether that is going to always be true. And it wasn't really the nice Vogue, either. More of your Lion Brand/K1 type patterns.

To start at the beginning: Oxygen network just launched a show about knitting called Stitchcraft. Lily Chin hosts. She got to talk for like 3 minutes total during the half hour show, during which she made about 4 unsucessful sexual innuendos. I got the feeling from the ads I ffwd'ed past that this was pretty much required for a show on Oxygen. Like, "edgy" translates into "cock jokes on TV". How tired.

There were sorta 3 stories -- a K1 photoshoot for their theme of modifying old clothing with knitted embellishments, designers and their knitwear collections/inspirations/process, and how vogue adapted some of those designer looks for handknitting. Almost all the knitted pieces were done with size 13 needles or larger. The vogue editor for K1, Adina Klein, has a compelling presence and personality. I liked her energy, creativity and independence. But I pretty much hated the knitwear.

Here's what wrote on the K.1 blog, 1 knit 1nder :
Did not love the show. One neat tips about working with ribbon yarn, some cool visuals from the fashion shows, but I've seen those vogue issues already, months ago. Watching the photo shoot was interesting to see the tweaking of pieces & poses before the shot is taken. Oh, and the sexual innuendo was so tired, it was embarassing. And Lily's demo of 2 color knitting moved too fast. I'll hope for better in the next episode.

Did you see the show? What did you think? And now.. on to the fours:


Four jobs in your life:
1. secretary in the entomology department
2. staff at the cheese counter
3. webmaster at apple dot com
4. children's librarian

Four movies you could watch over and over:
1. Yojimbo
2. Wings of Desire
3. Serenity
4. Lord of the Rings.. all three

Four TV shows you love to watch:
1. Deadwood
2. Firefly
3. Desperate Housewives
4. What Not to Wear

Four places you have lived:
1. Urbana, IL
2. Eisenstadt, Austria
3. Cupertino, CA
4. Morristown, NJ

Four places you have been on vacation:
1. Anza Borrego Deesert
2. French Glen, OR
3. Cape May, NJ
4. McAllen, TX (Hint: it starts with B and ends with -irding)

Four websites you visit daily:
1. Salon.com
2. NYTimes
3. Google
4. Knitting.meetup.com

Four of your favorite foods:
1. pad thai
2. wonton soup
3. tandoori chicken
4. homemade macaroni & cheese

Four places you'd rather be right now:
1. checking in to a B&B in Ashland, Oregon
2. knitting in a cafe
3. out birding in Monterey
4. Yosemite valley

Four favorite types of yarn:
1. Koigu KPPPM
2. Rowan Cork
3. Noro Silk Garden
4. Nature's Palette

5 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Didn't see it and it sounds like I didn't miss much. I like Vogue, but am not a fan of Lion/K1.

But I am a fan of homemade macaroni and cheese. Do you have a favorite recipe?

March 07, 2006 9:58 AM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Oh, dear. Lily and her jokes. I imagine they work much better with a live audience than on TV. She dropped a few groaners in my class with her at Stitches, but they were not of a sexual nature. And they were clearly *meant* to be groaners.

Since I don't have time to watch it anyway, I'm glad I'm not missing much! I'd rather catch up on "Lost" while working on a knitting project.

March 07, 2006 11:05 AM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Hey, Wiz -- I honestly don't think the nature of the jokes came from Lily -- I think the Oxygen network just leans that way. Like, they are trying to lay claim to the concept of edgy thru daringly referring to sex on TV. I just found it predictable & tired. Lily's deliery & personality were great.. just the writing was way off target.

March 07, 2006 12:18 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I'm so glad I didn't miss anything since I don't get the Oxygen channel. And yes, do you have a favorite homemade mac & cheese recipe? It's my comfort food...
Debbie

March 07, 2006 1:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I listed homemade mac and cheese as a fave dish as well. I admit. I really like Martha Stewart's recipe.

March 07, 2006 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home