Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Up the chain of assassins

Bulletin from the wool front: Yarn Monkey's Sock Wars continue, as a community-organized sock-based killing spree. We heard little from Yarn Monkey in the week after the assasination assignment list was posted, but we've been talking amongst ourselves on the forum and figuring out who needs to kill whom.

I was clear on my assignment, so last Tuesday I shipped the package that successfully killed my sock wars target, sk8grlpk. After weaving in the ends at the delightful Grapevine wine shop in downtown Willow Glen, I got some help from accomplices Bill & Gordon to create a a toe tag for the deceased sk8grlpk. A knitted or felted toe tag would have been better, but I was in a hurry to slay victim #1. And I have prevailed!

So on to Round Two. Sk8grlpk had already slain her victim, Sockcrusader of Washington, D.C. Accordingly Sockcrusader. mailed her socks-in-progress from D.C. to Fontana, CA for sk8grlpk to finish and deliver. But it was not to be. My deadly socks arrived in Fontana on Thursday at the same time as the package from the east. Sk8grlpk was a total dear about mailing the D.C. socks to me -- and they arrived here on Monday, in my original mailer, with Sockcrusader's envelope inside. (Anyone need a diagram of that? I might.)

Inside the package was.. a single severed leg. And some yarn. Hoo boy. I've got a long way to go to get these babies ready & delivered. Two heels, two feet and one more leg to knit. And it seems my new victim might be a size 11 shoe size. But I am calm. I have ninja hands. I will breathe into the knitting.

Meanwhile, my original assassin Stephani has been dispatched by assassin Littlefeet, who has more names than you can shake a stick at. Not that I, assassin elektra, can really complain about someone else having too many names. Stephani also passed her socks-in-progress along quickly. So littlefeet has been taunting me with impending death by delightful, sunny yellow socks. Not a bad way to go, if that is to be my fate.


But for now, I put thoughts of failure behind me. I'm off and knitting the socks of doom for the second time. Surely, my experience will have made me wise and powerful in sock-fu. Not so fast, grasshopper.

I had a bit of a false start using size 5 dpns, which worked fine my silk socks of doom. Here you can see the D.C. socks after I turned the heel last night on size 5's. And you can pretty clearly see where I started knitting because our gauges do not match. Rrrriiiiiip. Try again on size 4.

No more photos now, since I don't want moirae to know how near her death is.. but let's just say these are a fast knit and the size 4's are perfect. Assassin elektra is back in the saddle.

Note: If you were looking for any sort of real life update, you might check over with my darling spouse-o's blog.. we've been having new wood floors put in the living room this week. And he's presenting Wednesday, Oct 4, at the Bay Area Bird Photographers monthly meeting at the Palo Alto Baylands nature center. He will talk about bird photography & photoblogging. I'll be skipping this week's knitting meetup to knit in the dark at his talk. Come on by and knit with me in the back row, if you are interested in seeing pretty pictures of birds.

8 Comments:

Blogger moirae said...

No worries. I need to buy another pair of needles to match the gauge on those yellow socks. I'm going to get them tonight though.

--Littlefeet

October 04, 2006 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for new wood floors! I popped over to Bill's page - the floor looks fabulous.

I'll miss you tonight. My top-down sweater is marching along smoothly and thanks to the long coast-to-coast flights last week I have 1/2 a sock done. I'm bringing both tonight as I'm not sure what I feel like working on.

October 04, 2006 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahaha! I love it! I don't know if I could take the pressure of these sock wars, but reading about it is hilarious. Good luck, ninja.

October 04, 2006 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need a diagram. Mom

October 05, 2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger moirae said...

I assume you meant you don't want me to know how close Sheri's death is.

October 10, 2006 1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are making me happy I didn't get involved in the Sock Wars! Way too much pressure for me, and I don't think my brain could handle the changing assassins!

October 10, 2006 9:08 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

OT: I have a question. I've finally receive the Knitter's mag with the A Step above socks. Do you think one could make them toe-up style? Your's look fantastic by the way!

October 12, 2006 12:55 PM  
Anonymous nillastraning said...

Thiss is awesome

January 24, 2024 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home