Friday, February 09, 2007

Look, honey, the magazine tells you how to do it!

Sometimes, when he knows I am listening, Bill jokes with his friends that he worries about the future with me and fiber. I mean, just look at the trail of evidence. We went from yarn & needles, to lots of yarn, needles, fiber, a few books and a wheel, to lots of yarn, lots of needles, fiber, a whole bookshelf full of books, a wheel, and two looms in about 15 years. (New knitters, beware! This could be you.)

Obviously, says Bill, this progression is leading dangerously close to ANIMALS. He worries that one day I'll come home with a lamb. He feels pretty safe as long as we live in suburbia and have a postage stamp sized yard, but he remains vigilant. And grateful for my allergies to dogs and bunnies.

So here you go, honey, my first hint that you might be right about the animals. I want this magazine. I want to look at the ads. And pictures of alpacas. Mmmmmm alpacas. Just look at this cover:




Doesn't it make your heart go pitter pat?

Don't worry. You are still safe from Bactrian camels. They are just a *bit* large for the yard. You might not be safe from More Magazines, but that's a fair trade, right? I get another bookshelf for magazines in exchange for not bringing home a lamb. Or a camel. That's a fair deal, right? Yes. Sounds totally fair to me.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds fair to me!

February 09, 2007 3:32 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

One day browsing magazines at Borders I came across a magazine for people who have hobby farms. The issue showed a lot of sheep. I laughingly showed it to my husband but he wanted to buy it! I wouldn't let him. Our small yard is already filled to the max with fruit trees and he'd love to keep bees too. Some day we'll have a house with a yard big enough for his hobbies (and sheep!) and a room big enough for my yarn, fabric, sewing machines, cutting table, spinning wheel, etc.

Oh yeah, my husband (eagerly) wanted to know if I was bringing home a loom from Stitches this year. I do believe I married the right guy.

February 09, 2007 4:23 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Goats are small, aren't they? Cashmere goats??? (I know, I'm not helping.)

February 09, 2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger theknitist said...

Cashmere goats ARE very small, like a medium-sized dog. As are those new mini sheep they've been breeding. There's totally room in the back yard for one or 2.

...sorry Bill.

February 09, 2007 5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goats are small -- and they'd keep the lawn mowed, which should be a big selling point for Bill, right?

February 10, 2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger Bill Walker said...

Uh oh!

February 10, 2007 11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm on Bill's side on this-no sheep,goats, camels, alpacas, llamas or other fibrous beasts. But, then again, Bill has LOTS of photography and musical "stuff". Is it a competition? Have a beer-of-the-month while you think about it. Mom

February 10, 2007 2:06 PM  
Blogger Baywood Yarns said...

I want an Alpaca. Or two...

February 10, 2007 8:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home