Monday, October 23, 2006

Yarn stash vs the belt sanders: Stash wins.


Packing up the stash
Originally uploaded by spinnity.
Here I am back in my housy house after a week away during our floor refinishing/finishing project. I want to give a HUGE shout out to my brother AWiz and Wizknitter for putting us up in style last week. Home cooked dinner and company for the cats was greatly appreciated. Thanks, family!

Even with the fabulous hospitality, the week away was pretty spazzy. Living out of a suitcase is one thing when you are travelling but another thing entirely when you are trying to run your normal life. We got home last night for an inspection visit and decided it was time to move back into our house. We quickly de-plastic'ed the bedroom & my temporary home office in the knitting room, set up camp chairs in the empty living room and fetched the cats home.

The stash, safe in its closet.. came through the refinishing just fine. The bags have only a little dust on the outside -- we had barricaded the stash behind ziploc bags, the closet door, the door of the room and a drape put up by the workmen. The four layer protection system worked like a charm. Stash 1, Floor dust 0.

The floors themselves look mighty fine. Mighty, mighty fine. Rather finer than some of the things surrounding them. This is the perennial problem of any home improvement project. Having made a Clean Spot in the living room.. , shouldn't we paint while the rooms are empty? And.. shouldn't the hideous carpet in the other four rooms be replaced? And what about the dangling wires in the kitchen where a light fixture should be? We now have big dreams and little time before a November 4th party to enact them.

And we have a lot of unpacking to do. We shoved everything inside something else on the way to the flooring days. Some of it was sensible new places to store stuff, but not much. Mostly, we just had to get everything put away. It reveals that we don't *really* have enough room to store our stuff. The kitchen things, books, clothing, and um, yarn, might need some weeding and/or new storage strategies.

The kitchen things are probably quaking in their boxes. And the books are very afraid. But the yarn rests secure in the knowledge that I can't part with my beloved stash. Maybe I'll have to investigate those closet storage system fliers in the newspaper. We can't just live out of stacked ziploc bags with no internal structure. The Tower of Stash will just fall over every time I need to get out new yarn.

Oh -- almost forgot -- actual knitting content: My sock wars assassin Little Feet killed me off last Monday, I'm dead. Good timing. And I'm knitting the Sugar on Snow hat / neck gaiter from the most recent knitty, in a lovely spicy orange and considering modifying the dangling ties to be something other than leaves. Maybe acorns? Maybe oak leaves. I'm checking my Nicky Epstein books for inspiration.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Happy to hear you're back home. Though you've got to be honest, I know that tiny pile of yarn in that photo is not your entire stash... ;)

October 23, 2006 7:56 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I'm glad to hear your stash survived the floor refinishing!

I feel your pain on the home improvement dominoes: we're having our bathrooms refinished and now I want the rest of the house painted too.

October 23, 2006 9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad the floor part is done. Wish I could be there to help you paint (if you decide to paint) and to reassemble your entire house before the party. Mom

October 24, 2006 7:36 AM  
Anonymous Program's Blog said...

Great reaading

August 26, 2023 10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home