Thursday, February 08, 2007

One thing leads to another...

Today I am experiencing insight into why nothing ever gets done in my life. I am easily distracted by shiny objects. "Oh, I should really finish those Big Ten socks, there are five regular season games left for Illinois.. but shouldn't I be working on Elfin Goth, I'm almost ready for the pickups... Ooh, look at that new project!!".

It sort of explains the lack of bloggery as well. Here's a sample from last week: "Hmm, I should write about the Hanne Falkenberg kit support group at Uncommon Threads. Maybe I'd better read a couple more things first to be sure I've got the write pattern names. Oh, no, Molly Ivins died?!? Who will hold our feet to the fire now?" And no blog post gets written.

Sigh. It's true. Can't keep my head pointed in one direction long enough to finish just about anything. Every completed object is really some kind of miracle accomplishment if you live in my head. Unlike some of my more focused friends, I hesitate to count the number of UFOs lying fallow in my knitting room. And they were once such favorites! With such promise.

I think you know where this is going. Those oh-so-close Big Ten Medley socks... They are not done. Oh, they *were* done, yesterday, for about three hours. I finished sock #2 Wednesday morning and grafted the toe, put both socks on my feet, and promptly decided that the second sock was too long *and* the heel was too loose. Grumble, grumble, why didn't I re-work the heel as soon as I noticed how sloppy it was? False optimism strikes again.

I let the sock mellow until lunch time and then, Rrrriiiip, back to the ankle. I've turned the heel again, this time on the proper needles, and it looks much, much better. So after lunch yesterday, my task was to run once through my five Big Ten colors for the foot and be done. Not so hard, as long as I can control the monkey mind, I should be done in a day or two....

So there I was working diligently on my stripes last night at Knitting Meetup down at Knitting Arts, where we had 2 newbie meetup members and six old hands. There was laughter, there was chatting, there were reports on our three brand new mommies (Yes.. all three mommies now have babies. C on Jan 27, J on Feb 3, M on Feb 6. Congratulations to all three for healthy babies!)


And I'm knitting away on the Big Ten socks when suddenly a sample garment in Blue Sky Alpaca Melange just grabs my imagination by the throat and will not let go until I buy it. "Knit me! Knit me now!" Who am I to argue with that sort of intense opinion? So I dropped the Big Ten Medley, ran to the register, and brought home enough of this:

Mmmm, Melange

(Blue Sky Alpaca Melange, color "Dijon") to make a one of these:

Blue Sky Alpaca Royal baby set

The hat was soooooo cute in person, and I like the way it looks on the model's head in the photo as well. I really appreciated how much hunting Katie did to find the pattern for me - it was, of course, horribly misfiled. How does that happen? When you aren't in a desperate hurry for a pattern, it leaps off the shelf at you. But as soon as you set your heart on THAT pattern, Right Now, the darn thing hides itself under "adult" patterns from "some other company". Katie prevailed against the sneaky pattern and I'm now 9 rows into my 35 rows of ribbing to make the hat. Hoping to have the whole thing done tonight.

And then back to the socks. No, really. Really. I mean it.

5 Comments:

Blogger theknitist said...

You poor thing, I know exactly how you feel.

February 08, 2007 3:05 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I have a feeling that I contributed to your lack of knitting the Big Ten socks last night. But you truly are my knitting queen! You had my fiend Colleen in aaahhh. Thanks so much, I am almost done with the first sleeve!

February 08, 2007 9:25 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Did you see my pile of UFOs? It's humbling.a

February 08, 2007 9:34 PM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

Oh, I can SO relate! I am trying very hard to focus and finish projects. I am just lucky that I have limited yarn storage space at home or I would have yarn for many more projects!

February 09, 2007 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a bad case of shiny object knitting at the moment too, not sure why. That said, baby M would like to thank you for his hat, he loves it! He also says that booties would be equally loved, should you be so inclined, as the yarn is not itchy at all. :)

February 15, 2007 4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home