Monday, December 18, 2006

What the cats do all day

Hi there! I'm peeping out from my shell of isolationism to show you photos of my kitties making their daily rounds -- the Stations of the Cats, if you will.

In the mornings, the cats prowl around the bed until we feed them their morning dose of kibble. Then they disperse for a while to points unknown until I am stationed at my computer doing my first phone meeting of the day. Usually Bill brings me coffee or toast, which is quite interesting to The Skinny One, who comes to lurk around my monitor hoping for a chance at the cream or the butter on the toast. I can sort of understand those interests.. but I don't really get what she sees in the oatmeal.

We do a little dance, Izzy, the oatmeal and I. The oatmeal goes on the right side of the keyboard.. Izzy sits on the left & purrs for a few minutes. After a bit, she makes her move across the table to the right, while I move the oatmeal over her head and to the left. She sits down on the right to purr for a while. In the photo above, we've arrived at step four of the dance, where Izzy comes around behind the monitor to purr at the oatmeal from closer range. When she takes a step down to the table surface, I move the oatmeal to the right side and we start again from the top.

Remember that during the whole dance, I am on the phone participating in some meeting or other, so I eat rather slowly, taking bites between looking things up on the computer or talking to the meeting. So we can do the whole circuit 5 to 10 times before the oatmeal is gone. Mind you, she never gets any oatmeal from me. I marvel at her persistence.

Around this time, it's The Fat One's turn. Fat kitty Arlie brings me one of her puff ball toys every morning, accompanied by a little kitty aria. She doesn't bring it all the way to my desk.. just as far as the door. I offer praises and pets for her cleverness & collect my puff ball prize.

The rest of the morning is spent lounging in the sun spots on the south side of the house. I usually go visit them sometime between 10 and 1, since they are completely immovable until the sun wraps around to the back of the house. Izzy prefers the window in Bill's office, where she can nestle behind the curtains. Arlie, more gravitationally challenged, chooses floor locations in the office or bedroom, moving slowly forward as the sunspot moves towards the wall.

Around 2:30 pm, the sun peeks around the back of my monitor and makes a sunspot on the couch next to me. The Skinny One usually comes to lounge on the sofa in my Loombrary office. The Fat One sometimes comes to sit in the window and cast a shadow on The Skinny One. One glorious day last week, they worked out a way to share the sunspot equitably without casting shadows. Good kitties.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohhh, what cute babies they are! I love to watch cats compete with each other for the little afternoon bits of winter sun.

December 19, 2006 3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the kiddles! Nothing better than sun spots.

December 19, 2006 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kitties have their own circuit too! It's funny when one of them decides to change the plan and the others get all cranky about it.

December 20, 2006 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home