Monday, November 20, 2006

What I did on my Wisconsin vacation


Jim's
Originally uploaded by Bill Walker.
Ahhh.. Wisconsin. Land of many family vacations, nearly all of them centered around eating. From the 9th to the 15th Bill and I spent a week in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, visiting my granny, my aunt, our grad school roommate and small-town middle America. We also went on a couple birding field trips associated with the Birds and Bluffs fall birding festival in Lansing Iowa. The whole trip was wonderufl.

Bill took some photos - though sadly I don't think we have any good ones of granny - and posted them to a set on flickr. Have a look at the photos and imagine us:

* eating at three different lunch buffets in three days
* attending talks about owls and conservation in the HS gym in Lansing, Iowa
* buying camoflage color fleece jackets -- not to blend in with the forest, but to blend in with the natives
* playing cards in granny's apartment
* watching Chicago beat the NY Giants while drinking Guinness at Eddie's Pub in Prairie.
* trying out all the regional beers we can't get in San Jose - New Glarus's Spotted Cow, Leinie Red, and Capital Amber
* Visiting the raptor center at the Schlitz Audubon Nature Center -- another occaison for taking photos
* knitting at the birding festival, on the planes, in the airports & everywhere in between

The knitting has not resulted in anything I can show you yet -- I'm working on some socks that aren't coming together. I've tried about 5 different stitche patterns and none are rocking my world. I might just retreat to the Embossed Leaves from Interweave Knits Winter 2005 and pull out the knitting I did on those planes. I'm also test knitting Elfin Goth for the Domiknitrix, but the pieces won't be interesting until I get the back started, which should come over the holiday weekend.

It's nice to be back in our housey house in time for Thanksgiving and the associated long weekend, which should give us some good birding time. I hope you all will have a relaxing, happy Thanksgiving weekend as well.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you had a wonderful time and are back safe and sound. Missed you at the Sunday Stitch n' Bitch.

November 20, 2006 4:15 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Welcome home! Me and SO love the reason for buying the camo fleece. ;-)

I'm having issues with socks myself. I've tried 3 different patterns with LL Mineshaft and may have to resort to a plain ol' rib. zzzzzzz

Have a great Thanksgiving!

November 20, 2006 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you go to Cabella's? I found that they've been opening up HUGE Costco-sized Cabella's all over the midwest. And I totally love love love Leinenkugels Red! I wish there was a way to get it here. Not even BevMo has it. *pout* Hope you drank one for me.

Welcome home!

November 21, 2006 7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And great fun was had by all-Hamann's, Horsfall's, Cabela's, the Pink Elephant-the scenic sites of PdC and area. Wouldn't you know-since I got my "rubber shoes" at Cabela's, I've seen them advertised at Farm and Fleet and even in JCPenney's catalog. Mom

November 24, 2006 7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun - now what have you been doing since then???

December 12, 2006 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home