Monday, March 03, 2008

Springiness & spinning

This weekend, just one week after the madness that was Stitches West, the spin-in group came round to do some communal spinning. I'm still working with pre-Stitches fiber -- the Old Same Corriedale that I've been working on for over a year. Yes, it's still beautiful, but I'm ready to start seeing other wool. Those three new bumps of fiber I bought at Stitches, for instance.

So the fire is lit: Fall Squall must be finished. This month. No, really.

I have are 4 bundles of this wool. Two were finished at previous spin-ins. At Saturday's spin-in, I worked on bundle three -- the last bobbin was done around 8 pm and plying finished at 11 pm. It's sooooo pretty and sooo even, woo hoo! Just.... one... more... bundle!

I am planning to use all of these hanks of yarn together -- maybe a square necked sweater as seen in Spin-to-knit -- but I'm not sure how that's going to work with three hanks of very different yarn. For hanks one through three, I've managed to turn the same weight of prepared fiber into 135, 215, and 300 yards of finished yarn. According to charts of yardage-to-weight, this means I've got bulky and aran and worsted weight yarn in the same colorway. I might be able to alternate them.. or use them progressively to adjust the gauge.

For a break from spinning, I've been knitting two Easter sweaters for my nieces - size 3T and 6 months. Frustratingly, the nieces have chosen to live in overly-warm Florida, which is a challenge for the knitwear. I was hunting for some sort of cotton blend for these sweaters at Stitches - and found it almost immediately in a cotton / bamboo yarn called "Southwick" at WEBS. It's a tad splitty, but has lovely drape and shows the lace patterns really well.

I'm using the same yarn for both girls' sweaters, but different patterns. One is repeat of a simple raglan baby sweater from Plymouth. For Miss 3T I'm inventing a sweater using the miniature leaf lace from the Little Silk Shrug [Ravelry link] in Lace Style.

Lace + cotton / bamboo make a pretty airy sweater, but I'm not sure even this will be sufficient to overcome the Florida weather. But useful or decorative, these puppies need ship out on March 17th.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

Very nice spinning! Oh, how I miss you all...

I was craving some new yarn today and remembered the gift that you and Janice had given me, so I have spent much of the day perusing the webs site and am trying to make a decision. Thank you again- your gift is coming just when I need it most!

Now I really need to get spinning and plying!!!!

March 03, 2008 3:44 AM  
Blogger Emy said...

I'm living in some sort of time warp...I think I knew that the spin-in was last weekend, and that would have been awesome since Ray was on call so we couldn't really go anywhere or do anything. Except that somehow between Thursday and today I thought that it was this coming weekend, the 8th, so I didn't even think about going, and instead thought about how I was going to have crafty things to do on the 8th and the 9th. Weird. :P

March 03, 2008 3:09 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

The yarn looks great, congratulations. You're in the homestretch!

March 03, 2008 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That yarn looks amazing. And thanks for hosting the Spin In, yet again!

March 04, 2008 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home