Friday, January 11, 2008

It's needles either way.

Hi knitters,

Being a woman of leisure (yes, fully liberated from my day job as of last Friday!), I have been away from the computer a lot lately doing errands and enjoying the world. I thoguth my next blog post would feature some photos from the holidays and a report on birthday festivities... but I'm interrupting those plans to urge all knitters to donate blood, if you are able. Knitters are used to needles, right? So this ought to be an easy sell!

This week, I have gotten phone calls and email alerts from my usual blood bank urgently asking for blood donations. They say that the blood reserves in California are very low after the holidays. This story from KCBS focuses on Blood Centers of the Pacific, who say that as of January 9 they have about 1/3 of the supply of O- blood they need.

If you've never given blood before, now's a great time to start - because January is National Blood Donor month, which means you are likely to get a lot of love and some nice gifts if you are a first time donor. Stanford Blood Center is giving AMC movie passes, for instance.

Personally, I like to schedule my donations, but you can usually walk in to a donation center if your schedule is hard to predict. It really only takes about an hour to go through intake, actual donation, and then rest/observation to be sure you are OK to depart. I went Tuesday for a 3 pm donation appointment in Mountain View and was out of the center by 4:10 pm. I was a little disappointed - I only managed to knit 4 stripes in my "Hail to the Orange, Hail to the Blue" Chevron Scarf while waiting to be released.

Hail to the Orange

Please call / visit one of these blood donation organizations. Tell them "Knitters like needles!"
  • Stanford Blood Center in Mountain View, on Hillview in Palo Alto and on campus
  • Blood Centers of the Pacific - in Cupertino, Redwood City, San Jose and many more
  • American Red Cross of Northern California, in Newark, Pleasanton, Oakland, Pleasant Hill and San Jose
Don't forget you can always glom onto an existing blood drive - maybe there's one in walking distance of your house at a church, school or business nearby.

Happy knitting!

2 Comments:

Blogger Stickchicky said...

What a great post. I work for Canadian Blood Services, and I am a big believer that every single donation counts. We too are suffering a shortage of all blood types (as is the case every holiday week/weekend) Any Canadian readers may be interested to know they can call anytime 24 hours a day at 1-888-236-6283 to book an appointment to donate blood.

January 12, 2008 2:07 AM  
Blogger Emy said...

Excellent post, and a great cause. I know that I'm alive today because someone donated blood.

January 12, 2008 9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home