Tuesday, January 01, 2008

FIRT NOST! *

First note of the year, w00t! Welcome to 2008, knitters.

I've had a fabulous January 1. I hope the rest of 2008 will be just as fun. Fabulous for me consists of: birds, good food with friends, music in my home, and knitting. Bill bounced out of bed this morning at 7 am (my idea... but I was more of a slug and had to be lured out with stollen and fruit). Our plan was to get in as much birding as possible on January 1st, before hosting a small gathering of musicians and friends for a dose of Hoppin' John and greens for good luck in the new year.

The plan was quite successful - we hit 4 birding locations in Santa Clara county for 93 species before 2 pm and came home to finish cooking greens and cornbread. The fellers played some jazz and the rest of us caught up on family news from our holiday visits. For knitting, I worked on a pair of "Last Minute" handwarmers using DK Zephyr, which are actually past the last minute, but progressing nicely. I also put in a few rows on my Illini themed Chevron Scarf, while watching the Rose Bowl on TiVO. Since I don't follow football at all, the game was not too disappointing to me, despite Illinois' TERRIBLE first half performance. Overall, a great day off and a wonderful start to the new year.

In honor of January 1, I am posting my "Knit-year" resolutions, something we discussed at our December Knitspiration guild meeting. The topic: what do you resolve to do differently in 2008 in your knitting life? Here are my plans:

Spinnity's 2008 Knit-year Resolutions
  • Resolved: I will complete two of the many sweater kits in my stash before I buy another one. Sigh.

  • Resolved: I will knit my husband a sweater in 2008.

  • Resolved: I will design and knit myself one sweater that FITS in 2008.

  • Resolved: I will spin every month and use my handspun for at least 3 projects


Apparently 2008 must be the international year of the sweater, because that's all I can think of when I think about what I want to do differently. (Note that I am NOT resolving to deliver knitted gifts on time. We have to keep these resolutions achievable, right??)

I hope your New Year is getting off to a wonderful start. If you have any new year's resolutions for your knitting life, I'd love to hear them. Is there any thing you want to change about your knitting habits with the new year?

All the best to you in 2008!!
- spinnity

*(FIRT NOST was a common title for the first posting of the day in the group notesfiles on PLATO in the 1970's and 80's, when I was a plato system user in the Illinois public schools and colleges. See, if you are typing fast... "first note" comes out as "firt nost" and there is no time to edit if you want your Note to be First. Ahh, youth.

I did a Google search for the phrase earlier today, and couldn't find a single reference to this term anywhere on the internet! Well, now there is one, and I was there first. FIRT NOST!! FIRT "FIRT NOST" on the internet! I'm so meta, I can hardly stand myself. Bwahahaha!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Happy New Year! Sounds like you had a great start to 2008. Cheers!

January 02, 2008 7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great resolutions! Mine is to knit what I want, not what others want!!
All the best in the new year.

January 04, 2008 6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home