Friday, December 31, 2004

Two more Xmas scarves

Following up on commissions received at my company Christmas party, I knit up these two scarves. For Paul's friend Nikki, I ended up with this Lion brand "Incredible" yarn in a color called "Copper Penny". The scarf is 15 sts wide in garter stitch for nearly 72 inches on size 11 needles.

img_5394


The second commissioned scarf came out of my stash. For Jaime's sister, who lives in Mexico City, I used Great Adirondack Sequin in a bias pattern. 20 sts wide. Odd rows: inc 1 on the right edge, K across dec 1 on the left edge. Even rows, K.

img_5751   img_5759



2 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Lovely scarves! The bias scarf is beautiful, and I like how it fits in its little box. How many balls of Incredible did you use for the garter st scarf? Did you like how it turned out? I've looked at that yarn at Michaels, but thought it felt a bit scratchy. The colorway is very nice. Would you recommend the yarn?

I'll see you tomorrow at SnB--I'll bring the illusion pot holder and ASA socks.

Happy New Year!

January 01, 2005 2:03 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Thanks, Janice! I love that Sequin yarn on the bias scarf. I've got like 4 more skeins waiting in the wings. It's like having an investment fund in yarn.

For Nikki's garter stitch scarf, I used nearly 2 skeins of Incredible - I saved enough to add a fringe if desired, but ended up liking it better without.

About the scratchiness.. I took a tip from Sally Melville's book The Knit Stitch. In the project information for the Shape It scarf, Sally says ribbon yarn should be ironed firmly with lots of steam and pressure using the wool setting on your iron. So once I bound it off, I ironed the crap out of this puppy. I used a towel as a pressing cloth to protect it from scorching and checked frequently to make sure I wasn't damaging it.

I thought the pressing really improved the hand and softness of the scarf, though I still didn't think it was the snuggliest. It just takes enough edge off to make the scarf feel like (slightly stiffish) fabric instead of scratchy brillo pad. Kudos to Sally Melville for that tip - it really made the scarf wearable!

January 02, 2005 2:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home