Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Grace S. and the big clean-out

On Sunday after a brief stop at the SnB SJSU, I went to meet Grace S. who is trying to get rid of her knitting supplies after a lifetime of knitting. She contact the SnB group on November 28th through Jeff and I contacted her later in the week to arrange a visit.

Grace has Parkinson's disease and can no longer knit. She donated her 4-ply/worsted weight to the Willow Glen Senior Center, but still had a large needle collection, some unfinished projects and baby yarn. On Sunday I helped go through the unfinished projects and needle collection. We decided to sort through the baby yarn after the holidays.

I brought home 5 bags of yarn/projects and 1 bag of needles and notions. I hope some of the SnB knitters will find useful items in the collection. I will get some photos together & post them later this week. Mostly Grace's knitting supplies were vintage 60's yarn & needles. She said she liked to get new projects every summer, so there are several unfinished projects from which yarn could be recovered, if desired. My favorites are a knitted dress in linen/orlon novelty yarn, a collection of acetate ribbon yarn in individual boxes per ball of yarn, and a knitted necktie kit. In needles, there is a wide variety of sizes in long and short straight needles, a few double points in plastic and some crochet hooks. Stay tuned for a full inventory and photos.

Meeting Grace and talking to her about her knitting supplies was sweet and also emotional for me. The idea of having someone have to sort thorugh my half-finished projects later affected me a little, but I was really grateful to Grace for contacting our group and I'm sure her needles will go to good use!

2 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

I was telling my mom about someone at SnB (I can't remember who) saying they went to an estate sale and that the woman who had died had, in the sense of "She who dies with the most yarn wins," won. My mom commented on her extensive fabric stash and I said I'd probably eBay her fabrics if she left a lot behind. She didn't mind at all. I would hope that I could find someone to finish her half finished projects too.

December 09, 2004 8:03 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

What a story - and how sweet of Grace to take such good care of her beloved yarn.

It's probably because I just found out my uncle died, but I'm a little teary from reading about Grace.

December 10, 2004 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home