Sunday, January 02, 2005

2004 Knitting Favorites

I wrote this earlier today and posted it on the message boards for the Santa Clara County Knitting Meetup Afterwards, I'd rather have this "year in review" as part of my blog, so here it is again, copied from the original post. The questions came from Amy at The Boogie Knits via several other sites.
-----------------------
2004 Year in Knitting
-----------------------

Favorite needles for 2004:
Bamboo double points - mostly Crystal Palace. This year I decided I absolutely detest metal double points, even though I have probably 9 sets. This year I replaced all my metal needles with bamboo and was I ever happy. Anyone looking for double-ponts for sale cheap?

Favorite online shop for 2004:
OK, I didn't do much online shopping, but I do love The Websters in Ashland, Oregon. I got to shop there twice in '04 and came home with about 6 skeins of Great Adirondack Sequin yarn, yum! I mostly dig going to my LYSes - Rug and Yarn Hut, Uncommon Threads and Knitting Arts in the South Bay. ArtFibers and Imagiknit in SF. Think of the knitters in small town America who don't have this luxury!

Favorite yarn for 2004:
A tie between Koigu KPPPM used for Charlotte's Web and Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock. Both are just dreamy in the hand and so gorgeous.

Favorite finished object and/or KAL for 2004:
No contest here - I love my 2 socks on 2 circulars made this summer during the mini-KAL of the Stitch-n-Bitch group in Campbell. I learned SO much and I made the world's best fitting socks. If I wear them 3 times a week, how long do you think before they wear out? Must knit more socks in '05!

Favorite new technique for 2004:
2 socks on 2 circulars. We used the Double Trouble socks pattern from Ingrid Knits. I loved learning the provisional cast on, shortrow toes, the 2 socks on 2 circs technique and the 3x1 rib. So practical, so fast, so much learning all at once!

If it counts as a technique, I ought to mention "Knitting with others" as a really important new technique for me this year. Joining the Stitch-n-Bitch group, the Knitting Meetup and a knitting group at work has really opened up the world of knitting for me. It's the most important change in my knitting life for 2004 - having knitting friends! So thank you, Knitting Meetup gang[, and Stitch-n-Bitch gang, and Nortel Knitters, and other knitting friends] for a great year in knitting!

- spinnity / mary / [Knitting Meetup] organizer

5 Comments:

Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Great idea to post this to your blog, and I'm thrilled to be part of your knitting community!

January 03, 2005 12:01 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

I love this knitting favorites idea. I borrowed it for my own blog. :)

I'm glad to be part of your knitting community too. I've really enjoyed going to SnB for the past few months.

January 03, 2005 6:35 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Great idea and good questions. I'm going to have to give them some thought and then I'll reply on the meetup site and probably post to my blog too. Thanks for sharing!

January 03, 2005 10:11 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

I think it's wonderful that your 2s2c socks made it as your fav FO as well as fav technique! *big smile*

January 04, 2005 5:49 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

your words about knitting friends are so inspiring. I really need to get out and join a group, there's one that meets in Redwood City and there's also one on stanford campus, I've just never made it to a meeting.

January 04, 2005 11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home