Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Mailing day. Having trouble letting go.

After much foot-dragging and with nudging from my darling spouse-o, I packed up 3 Finished Objects today: Meadow Flowers, Crocus Cardigan, and Fuzzy Stripey #2. Bill took them to the Post Office for me, which made it easier to say good-bye. They are all so light, the postage was very cheap, so we splurged on priority mail. They should be there by the weekend!I hope hope hope I get some photos of the items in use!

Now with empty nest syndrome, I did a survey of WIPs and FWIPs and made a startling discovery. There are 10, ten, TEN items I think I need to have finished by February 10. I made a list today and freaked out a bit. So here, more for my use than yours, is the rundown of what's in the queue.

First, I've decided I MUST wear the ASA socks tomorrow for my birthday, so I may be up late tonight finishing 5 more rectangles, 4 triangles, toe and heel. Luckily we have Knitting Meetup tonight, so I should be all set. So that's item One on the pre-Stitches checklist: ASA Entrelac Socks.

Next, the remaining items from the Christmas list:
  • Two: The knitted tie for John.. might have to be scrapped and re-done as a straight tie. Quote from the recipient: "Hmm. The only knitted ties I've ever seen were straight." I do have a great idea for a striped shadow knitting tie with a hidden university logo in it.
  • Three: Aunt Christina's scarf. Found the pattern I want to make and the yarn is in hand
  • Four: Nar. Cisse. No really. This time for sure. In fact, Saturday is when I want to finish this up.

So that's the leftovers. Next and most important are two items I consider a Debt of Honor (as the gangsters in Kiss Me Kate say it, pronouncing the B)
  • Five: OXO Gansey for Bill. This is my biggest goal for the next 6 weeks - finish this sweater before Stitches West. I feel it would be Wrong to return to Stitches Market and buy wads more yarn without having used the yarn I bought at Stitches 1997. This project is such a stay-at-home thing, because the dye comes off on my hands and makes a mess. I just have to sign up to watch some TV series, like Sex in the City or Buffy all the way through, so I can sit my butt in the chair at home and crank this one out.
  • Six: Myosotis or some suitable replacement. Started in July, this poor thing has been languishing for months. Must finish sweater before baby walks!

Then we have the flood of babies. I've got 3 more friends/family members having babies by February 7th and someting (probably something VERY small and simple) needs to be produced for these 3 new arrivals. (Seven. Eight. Nine. I might be able to fudge these by giving the gifts after the babies arrive. But they're so fun to knit!)

Ten is a secret. But easy to knit. Bill and I are going on a weekend birding excursion this weekend for 3 days. I'll be taken Number Ten, The Secret Project with me. Portable, easy, good car knitting.

Man. It's like Christmas knitting all over again. Of course, I chose all these projects and deadlines myself, and it'll be fun knitting. But if I finish all this, I am going to dedicate the rest of the winter to knitting for ME. Hah!

4 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Happy Birthday (tomorrow)! I'll wear my ASA socks in your honor.

Wouldn't you know, in your list of UFO's my eye was immediately drawn to the "secret project". Can't wait to see whatever it is.

Congrats on shipping off the 3 FO's. Sounds like the UFO's will help keep your mind off the separation anxiety.

Have fun at the Meet-up tonight.

January 05, 2005 3:25 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Happy Birthday (tomorrow!) Congrats on letting go of your FOs and having the courage to face your UFOs. It sounds like you have a lot on your knitting plate this month...but that sounds fun!

January 05, 2005 6:06 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Thank you, thank you for the birthday wishes. I'm having a great 39th birthday day!

January 06, 2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Happy birthday, darling! I hope you have new socks on!

January 06, 2005 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home