Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Vacation: all I ever wanted

I'm back after two lovely trips - to Wisconsin to visit relatives and to Ashland, Ore. for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. I'm having a pretty rough adjustment to the world of 7 am meetings and household responsibilities. Wish I could find some way to weasel out of work.

Knitting accomplishments
In Wisconsin, I finished the second front for Devan, using some Socka Fortissima in denim colors and a lovely khaki green for the trim. In Oregon, I started the sleeves and bought potential buttons. I got carsick on the way home, so I didn't make much progress on the sleeves. The sweater deadline is August 31, giving me two weeks to finish 5 inches of sleeves, an entire back and seams. Eeeeeee.

img_2710    img_2711

Granny's birthday Flower Basket shawl in dark blue DK-weight alpaca was a fun -- if dangerous -- travelling project. The blue Sajama alpaca drops dye like crazy - worse than the Rowan Denim! With the Denim, the blue areas of my hands were sharply contained by where the yarn had been. With this Sajama alpaca, the whole surface of my hands would turn blue. The yarn stinks, also. Literally. Very barnyard, very reefer.

The first 8 lace repeats went by quickly, but in repeat #9 I goofed up the same area repeatedly and probably spend as much time tinking 6 rows of that one repeat as I spent knitting the entire shawl. I think I went back about 4 times before I finally wised up and put in a life line. After that, I only had one big mess, which I solved by dropping about 25 stitches down from the end of the lace repeat to the lifeline and knittng those 25 stitches back up. I felt like an eeeevil geeeenius when I finally got it right. I finished the last repeat on my way to vacation #2, but no photos yet.

Travel news
Granny's 89th birthday party was a smashing success. 35 relatives in the community room of her elders apartment building mingled, looked at photos, and talked about family history. I got to spend a bunch of time with my cousin Aaron, whose wife & kids are pretty much all new to me. I loved discovering that we had so much in common across a divide of time and distance. All in all, I loved our large-group gathering and I hope we can do it again next year

And I got to see my mom's SECOND pair of socks! She's really got the bug. She knit the army colored ones in March, then the pair below in fun stripey yarn and now she's working on a pair for her sister. Go, Mom!

img_2235


Vacation #2
After the trip to Wisconsin, Bill and I were at home for 2 days and left 52 hours later on our annual pilgrimage to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. 4 days of no responsibilities with good friends, surrounded by fabulous restaurants, tempting shops & theater. What's not to like?

Highlights were: Best. Iced coffee. Ever. and books at Bloomsbury. A trip to the Websters for more Perfect Buttons. Dinner at Cucina Biazzi. And of course plays. My favorites were Richard III, Gibraltar, and, suprprsingly, Love's Labors Lost. The director infused LLL with warmth and vivacity I didn't expect, including a great Russian dance scene in Act V. Move over Branaugh! Still plenty of season left.. if you are looking for a relaxing, entertaining, edifying vacation, consider Ashland!

That's all the news of the past 2 weeks! Tonight is Knitting Meetup and I hope whereever you are, you are knitting with others tonight.

5 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

Will we see you at SnB this week too?

That sweater is very cute! I wonder how I missed that pattern.

August 17, 2005 12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...alpaca reefer!

...er...um...yeah. Sorry, not as funny as it sounded in my head...I guess.

But really - do I remember you going to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival last year too? I like Shakespeare festivals. Would it be worth the drive up for just that?

August 17, 2005 2:41 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Oooh I love you Mom's stripy socks. Do you know what yarn she used? It sounds like you had a great time on yout TWO trips (I'm so jealous).

Best of luck finishing Devan by your deadline. You can do it!

~ Christina

August 18, 2005 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the sock yarn for the orange stripy pair-the label says Lana Grossa Meilenweit Cotton Fun 318 40313 bought at The Rug and Yarn Hut. Zero progress on third pair. Had to take time off to make 2 wool helmet liners to send to the troops by Sept. and time off(after completing one) from that for an emergency baby sweater for Allison McKay Poindexter-shower next Sat.Good thing I'm retired otherwise I wouldn't have time for all this. Mom

August 20, 2005 1:07 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

Thanks for the sock yarn info!

~ Christina

August 22, 2005 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home