Monday, March 26, 2007

Knitzophrenia

We last left our heroine three weeks ago, fresh from spinning one nostepinne worth of forest green singles on a hand spindle and about 3/4ths of a bobbin worth of French blue Corriedale on the wheel. I am enjoying the simplicity of being a beginning spinner. It feels OK to spin wool without a plan for it. It's just a pretty color, spun up into a pretty shape. Simple!

In my knitting, it doesn't feel that simple. I've been picking up projects at random and adding them to the mix. Last weekend, for instance, I knit up a little entrelac pouch in Noro Silk Garden (1 skein) just because it appeared on my desk in the Stitch-n-Bitch calendar on Friday and I knew I had the yarn at home. See? Easily distracted by shiny objects! I could take a clue from a certain *focused*, knitter whose results speak for themselves. Yes, in theory I could list my WIPS, count them, get scared of the big number and start checking them off. Oooh, look! A really cute scarf project! Wouldn't that look great in Malabrigo?


Wyvern ready for cuffing
Originally uploaded by spinnity.
Around work on my Shiny Object projects, I'm trying out the goal-oriented approach on solid color socks. This Wyvern sock has is now ready for a cuff. I ripped out the two previous Wyverns - the first one was much too small and the second one would have fit over my shoes. Hmmm. Maybe my real name is Goldilocks. This attempt seems like a keeper - the stitch definition is really nice in this mystery Red Cross yarn and it fits really nicely. I've been weighing the sock and the ball of yarn on my very tempermental digital scale and I think I've only used about 30 g of my original 100. Phew - enough to make the seecond sock!


Meanwhile, I've been lurking on the fringes of a "Hanne Falkenberg kit support group" at Uncommon Threads. I have a "Da Capo" - bought at Stitches 2006 - which I had had not cracked open. A support group sounded like a good way to get moving! So I went to the first meeting in January, skipped the second meeting for a Valentine's Day date, and planned to go to the third meeting before back trouble intervened. But the existence of the group has got me moving on this project. I swatched and plunged in. I've got 50 ridges so far, which feels like 1/4 of the length of the piece. Of course each row adds 2 more stitches, so I'm probably onl about 10% finished.



Da Capo progress plus markers!
Originally uploaded by spinnity.
See the stitch markers on my Da Capo? I received this lovely surprise in my mailbox last weekend - they are a Thank you from Aija for spinning day. Awww, thanks, sweetie, you shouldn't have! Generally I am not much of a one for stitch markers, preferring obsessive counting over any sort of tallying / place marking device. But look how cute those little pink markers are! And they are just the right size for the Da Capo project, where I have to remember to keep increasing at the point of the triangle. They were on the needles about 1 minute after I opened the package.


Tomorrow is a birding day. Bill and I are scouting for a "Big Day" fundraiser birdathon coming up in three weeks. I hope to come home with a few more birds for the year list (currently at 168) plus a finished Wyvern. Mmm, wyverns.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

That is such a great shade of green!

March 27, 2007 10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you change hanks of Malabrigo on me? That does not look like the Stonechat you cast on with originally...

March 31, 2007 2:13 PM  
Blogger Sheri said...

Ooh - love all the pics! No wonder you're so easily distracted with all those wonderful projects to choose from!

Hope you had a great birding day!T

April 01, 2007 7:36 AM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

It's great to hear what you are up to and I hope that your back is feeling better! I love the Wyvern socks. They are looking really great. And we can't all be "focused" talented knitters. I for one need a little chaos to feel creative- that's my excuse anyway! It was great to see you on Thursday!

April 03, 2007 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See what it is-is-I think I have hit a "Knitter's block"--you know, like a writer's block. I'm feeling "stodgy". I read your blog and have no clue what a Da Capo is. (What is it?)
I have project in mind to do for Theodora this year. It seems simple enough (you could probably do it in about an hour) but I have no idea how to do it. It's called a "cuffed bracelet" and it has beading.It is done in garter stitch of all things. I mean how simple can it be? So I feel stupid. I hate feeling stupid. I have resorted to making slippers.I even tore out the shawl I had completed for Frances C. --it didn't seem "right".Pathetique!Waaah! Mom

April 04, 2007 7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home