Friday, April 27, 2007

Shark baby!


Sharks sweater
Originally uploaded by spinnity.
Yesterday at work, I presented my colleague with this baby sweater knit from the fabulous custom-dyed yarn called Sharks!, by Claudia Hand Painted Yarn. This yarn was the brain-child of the very smart gals at Purlescence and it debuted at at Stiches West in February. I am not a fan of the San Jose Sharks, hockey or these colors, but I am *huge* on this concept -- hand-dyed yarn in a custom color that represents the San Jose area. "Sheer stinking genius" as they like to say during band rehearsal.

Seduced by the cleverness of the yarn, I bought 2 skeins of sock weight Sharks!, probably for me, me, me. I also grabbed 1 skein of the worsted weight, with no real plan, probably to make a hat or similar. But then it hit me... my colleague J. is having a baby in 2 weeks and it's playoffs season for the Sharks.. and she and her husband were choosing baby names at the Sharks games. Clearly, they MUST have a Sharks-colored sweater for their impending baby girl!

I turned immediately to "Last-Minute Knitted Gifts" and the delicious "Child's Placket Neck Pullover". I love seed stich for babies and I've wanted to knit this little sweater for some time now. I plunged right in and cast on Monday last week. I had a sneaking suspicion that a 1-yr old baby sweater would consume more than 1 skein of worsted, and I was right. I ran out Wednesday morning. Back to Purlescence for more of this pricey, super delicious yarn.

With my second skein of yarn, I knit up the sleevies on borrowed size 7 double points at Knitting Meetup (thanks, Lisa!), then set the whole thing aside in favor of a bit of spinning over the weekend.

Monday this week I got serious about the Shark Baby sweater again and finished up the raglan section, which is worked back & forth, and finished weaving in ends Wednesday night, in time to give this to J. on her last day at work. Phew!

I adore this yarn, adore the pattern and I'm very pleased with the outcome. I don't think I'll be able to bring myself to spend this much on a baby sweater again... maybe next time I'll try a nice vest for a two to three year old? With pockets?

I need to post a second photo with the sleeves spread out so you can see the fabulous shark shape made by the pooling. That was the icing on the cake.
I can't thank the Purlescence gals enough for this yarn. It was just a delight to knit with this custom colorway which is purely local and so likely to be welcome to gift recipients in the area. Loved it!

8 Comments:

Blogger PurlsBeyondPrice said...

Woot! It looks great, Spinnity! Congrats on a killer FO. I know the Sharks crazed parents will love it.

April 28, 2007 7:58 AM  
Blogger Emy said...

Just *adorable*..that baby's totally going to make it onto TV wearing that sweater. :)

April 28, 2007 9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the mostest cutest baby sweater! Ever.

April 28, 2007 9:22 AM  
Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

Very cool, and very cute!!

April 28, 2007 12:41 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Cute! Lucky baby. :)

April 28, 2007 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it love it love it - I wish I'd thought of that yarn!

April 30, 2007 8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater! I'm impressed you could whip it up so quickly--but then I think you can knit in your sleep. I'm halfway through one sock for Theodora. It is a summery yarn- self striping-mostly white with turquoise and a green and orange and a tad of navy. Mom

May 01, 2007 6:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mary, the sweater is fantastic! The Purl girls are brilliant getting the Sharks color. And I was glad to help a knitter in need

May 01, 2007 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home