Monday, March 03, 2008

Swift of all Swifts - finally online

Today when I stopped by Purlescence to take the edge of a slow afternoon by buying just one skein of lightweight Sock That Rock (color: Waterlilies), Chloe kindly offered to wind my yarn, even though I waited until 5:59 to make my purchase and closing time is a 6.

"No, thank you," I said. "I have an unnaturally close relationship with my swift at home, and I would feel terrible giving up a chance to use it." She laughed, but it's true. I love, love, love my umbrella swift.
  • ... because it is made of beautiful black walnut.
  • ... because it twirls silently on metal fittings.
  • ... because it only takes a tiny amount of finger pressure to tighten the table clamp or adjust the width of the umbrella.
  • ... because my darling husband bought it as an anniversary present.

My beloved umbrella swift is made by Bluster Bay Woodworks, who used to show up at Stitches West with a booth full of swifts with fans blowing on them to make them go round. Yes, I said this turns by air pressure only. Does that sound like the swift you are using?

I haven't seen Bluster Bay at Stitches for at least three years, so I guess they aren't making the trip anymore. So I was surprised when Bill handed me a postcard from Bluster Bay from today's mail. They have a website, at last! Here they are: www.blusterbaywoodworks.com. I think that's my swift right on the front page of the web site. <3 <3 <3

I love them. I love my swift. I gotta go wind a hank.

[ETA: should have linked to a photo of my own swift in action. So you could see that it is the six-arm kind. See:

3 Comments:

Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

That IS gorgeous! I might have to get one of those when I return. My swift got damaged while it was being shipped here, but still works if I don't go too fast (yay for twist ties!)
Sounds like you are enjoying your "sabbatical"!

March 04, 2008 12:37 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

You are making me so jealous! Yes, you provided the info on how to get our own but it's quite $$. I'll have to wait for a big anniversary to come. Seriously, thanks for sharing. It's beautiful.

March 04, 2008 9:20 AM  
Blogger Jasmin said...

Mary, you are awesome.

I saw them three years ago, stupidly didn't buy a swift, and went back looking for them the year after.

As soon as I read your post, I pinged the link to my husband. I love that they make "crazy big" swifts.

March 05, 2008 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home