Friday, March 07, 2008

W00t Sock yarn and sock madness

Oh, knitters, I can scarcely stand myself. I have produced sock yarn, from my drop spindle. Truly! Who can believe it??

The superwash Merino roving came from the Fiber Fiend - it's her "Midnight Sky" colorway. I spun the first spindle full (which is about 30% of the 4 oz roving), standing in the Fiber Fiend booth at Stitches West. I plied it almost immediately after the show, and thought I was done. Then I started comparing it to other sock yarn in my stash and decided it was not really tight enough to be sock yarn. Photo one here is of the plied yarn the *first* time through the plying.

So I balled it back up and ran it back through the drop spindle to add more twist. (1.5 hours, in case you were wondering.) Photo two is after twist has been added.I'm so totally chuffed with the results. Can't really take credit for them, since I'm not yet fully in control of my own spinning. It's more miracle than skill at this point. So I feel no compunction against celebrating this yarn. I hope you like it, too!

I'm swatching on 2.25 mm needles now and planning how to turn this lovely stuff into socks for the spouse-o. It's a beatufiul blue / grey / black tweedy yarn and so far I think I like it best in fairly simple ribbing patterns.

But swatching is rather pre-mature, because I probably won't get to start these socks until after the first round of Sock Madness, which starts on March 13.

Yes, I have signed up for Sock Madness- a sock knitting competition kicking off at the same time as the NCAA basketball tournaments. Cindy had so much fun with Sock Madness last year, I had to sign up. There will be multiple elimination rounds to the competition, all judged on speed. The first pattern will be released on March 13. I'm not a fast sock knitter, so I'm really hoping I can make it past the first elimination round. I can't wait to see what sort of devious pattern they throw at us next Thursday


Niece sweaters are also progressing - bought the cutest buttons for them this week and I'm adding the edging to the 3-yr-old sweater tonight. I am quite confident I can get these out the door before The Madness begins.

Ok, one last photo -- my beautiful sock yarn, with the twist all set. W00t, sock yarn!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesomeness. It's beautiful!

March 08, 2008 7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's flippin' gorgeous. And I still want one of those spindles. Off to do some searching.

March 08, 2008 9:03 AM  
Blogger Margit Sage said...

Yay! It's Gorgeous!!! You're an awesome drop-spindler!

March 09, 2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger SpinalCat said...

I think you know a lot more than you're giving yourself credit for, even if some of it's unconscious.

March 09, 2008 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! You rock, Mary!!! Love, Mom

March 11, 2008 8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home