Monday, May 19, 2008

My new disguise


Claralund
Originally uploaded by spinnity
HI knitters,

I'll be poking my head up out of the silence to offer an update on several unfinished stories I left you with in April (Sock Madness, Texas birding photo quiz results, contract knitting + recent knitting gatherings), but today I just wanted to show you my new favorite sweater - my Pentecost Klaralund.

I have wanted to knit this sweater in this color for three years - since I saw Jeni the Knitist in hers at Stitches West 2005. What a great color, what a great use of rectangles + simple stitch pattterns to give a slightly shaped sweater. I bought the pattern and the yarn. I printed the errata. But I was shy about making a twinsy sweater to look *exactly* like the Knitist (with longer hair). Well guess what? Within 8 hours of finishing this sweater, I have already been mistaken for Jeni! My disguise is *perfect*! Bwahahahahahaha!

My Klaralund [rav link] has been on the needles since last fall - October, I think. I finished all the pieces before Stitches West & then got distracted two seams shy of a finished sweater. On May 10th, it suddenly occurred to me that if I sewed up those last two seams, I could wear this sweater to the Pentecost service at church (red for the spirit, don't ya know). One late night seaming session + a few drangling ends later, I had a new sweater! I've named it Pentecost in honor of the color, the season, and the spirit. I think it's the first sweater I've finished for myself since the horrible Summer of Cotton when I knit two lovely sweaters that came out all the wrong size.

Anyway, after church I wore this sweater to Purlescence when I dropped in for Tea & Sympathy. Another knitter who came in after me said "Hey, there's that sweater I have been following around Trader Joe's!" Uh... haven't been in Trader Joe's since finishing the sweater. But I know the Knitist frequents that shop, since she brings yummy snacks from TJ's to our monthly spinning gathering. Only 8 hours into the life of my sweater, it's already working. No one will be able to tell us apart!

I fell kinda bad for Jeni, whose iconic look I've stolen (sorry, Jeni!), but not sorry enough to stop wearing my new favorite sweater - except this week when it has suddenly been in the upper 90's and way too hot to be swathed in wool. But I have a plan - I'll be taking it with me to the Sierra next weekend where I will be the only Klaralund in Plumas county. That & the summer heat should mean that it will be at least September before Jeni and I show up at a party in the same outfit.

Further updates Real Soon Now

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You are *too* funny. I admire your resolve to finish that sweater in this heat! Hope you enjoyed your "contract knitting." She was very pleased.

May 19, 2008 12:24 PM  
Blogger Alison said...

It looks fabulous - I bet you wish you had finished it earlier and been wearing it longer in our actual winter.

Now I'm thinking that I need to knit one too....and it's just my colour....harharhar (evil laugh).

May 19, 2008 2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, you finished it! It's gorgeous. :)

May 19, 2008 2:34 PM  
Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel said...

It looks awesome...Jeni! :)

May 19, 2008 5:11 PM  
Blogger theknitist said...

Wonder Twins power... Activate!

ps. #84 ROCKS!

pps. The sweater looks amazing on you, congrats!

May 19, 2008 6:45 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Congratulations on your new sweater, it looks fantastic!

May 19, 2008 8:05 PM  
Blogger Cindy/Snid said...

Well, I have to say that you both look beautiful in it! Yay for FO's!!!

May 19, 2008 9:49 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

SEX-EEEE! Looks great. Suits you very well.

May 20, 2008 1:40 PM  
Blogger Baywood Yarns said...

I am glad you finished it because it's awfully purty. And you look GREAT in it. Can't wait to see in person.

May 21, 2008 7:06 PM  
Blogger yarnivorous said...

That is so funny! You didn't want to be twinnies but you are. LOL
That Klaralund looks great on you :-)

May 27, 2008 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home