Monday, August 30, 2004

Doggie sweater? Doggie sweater!

Opinions vary widely. Doggie sweaters are either a complete anathema (waste of time, silly looking, unnecessary) or a nice thing to do for your dog in cold weather. To the knitter, it doesn't matter. They are quick to knit and fun and if the dog eats the finished product, it's no great loss.

I am knitting for Chaucher, a 28 pound schnauzer in Philadelphia. Here is the beginning of the sweater (click for bigger version):

crw_1089

The blue, red, and green yarn is Jaimeson's Soft Shetland, used for two Amazing Twining Lace hats last winter. I like the idea that Susan & Chaucher could be color coordinated on a winter walk.

The white wool is some random fleece I spun into yarn about 7 years ago and have never used for anything. It's very uneven & adds lumpiness to that part of the sweater, but I don't care, it's my own very own handspun incorporated into a knitted object for the first time ever!

Since this photo was taken, I've finished the body and I'm working on the ribbing around the bottom edge. FO picture soon!

Meanwhile, Narcisse progresses fairly evenly. Both fronts were finished Thursday and the sleeves are just now 15 cm of purple and I'm ready to change to yellow. Tonight I hope to practice the dreaded embroidery & crochet embellishments on the swatch, so I can solicit opinions about the detail colors - green leaves, fuscia flowers with orange centers

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had a dog to knit one for. But all the dogs I know are California Dogs. I'd have to design a lacy, cotton sweater for them - or mebbe a tank...hmmmmmmm
-Jeni

August 30, 2004 4:01 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

I think dog sweaters are a great thing in cold weather climates. We visited Indiana in the winter and took our Calif boxer with us. I wasn't knitting at the time, so before we left we went to UCB and bought a child-sized sweatshirt for him. He was a little freaked out to wear clothes, but he soon forgot about it when his paws hit the snow.

But, think a wool sweater is a perfect choice since it's warmer and naturally repels water.

Great job!

August 30, 2004 4:49 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

More thoughts on dog fashion... while vacationing in Big Sur over the weekend, we went on a very HOT hike with Kavi, Phil & Amy's dog. Poor little guy didn't last long before he became overheated and dehydrated. We noticed his paws were hurting from the hot rocks underfoot. Perhaps California dogs need little knitted hiking booties -- and maybe knitted Camelbacks to carry their own water pouches. Or even a cool airy tank with pouches for ice packs!

August 31, 2004 2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home