Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Devine squares

OK, so maybe it wasn't so sensible, but Saturday as my first outing post-surgery, I took a class with Valentina Devine through Knitting Arts. Wendy was aslo taking the class (not Wendy mom-of-jocelyn, Wendy wednesday-jazz-salon pal)

We started bright and early at 9 am Saturday. By noon, I was very floppy and worn out - forgot to take the pain meds in the morning! - but a little lunch perked me up and I stuck with it. The knitting classroom space is just gorgeous, overlooking the trees of Saratoga's Wildwood Park. Crows, chickadees, acorn woodpeckers, Stellar's jay's and juncos were heard all day while we knit.

Ms Devine presented Creative Knitting - knitting garter stitch in random or semi-random color selections, changing directions counter-clockwise around the square as the mood strikes you, and finishing the piece with surface embelishment. My square used only "leftover" yarn (Valentina says "Not leftovers! These are your palette of colors. No artist calls the tubes of paint not in use "leftovers.") in worsted weights.

I felt a little drab, since most of the students used novelty yarns and much brighter color choices than my Jaimeson's worsted. I nearly left the square unfinished, but thought I'd better try out the surface embellishments before I forgot everything I'd learned. I like it better with the decorations on. Here it is:

crw_0796

3 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Wow, that's amazing.

August 04, 2004 9:47 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Amazing? or stunning? as in "oh. my." It's hard for me to tell looking at the object itself whether it's beautiful or appalling. I'll bring it to SnB on Sunday.

August 05, 2004 11:30 AM  
Blogger Bogie said...

Amazing as in, "hey, that's cool!" Can't wait to see it.

August 05, 2004 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home