Monday, February 21, 2005

Shawl-a-palooza: "pattern" + progress

i'm getting all sentimental over the crazy things we do for weddings. My very good friends R & S from the midwest just wrote tonight to say they would be coming to my brother's wedding in March. It's a big trip for them and they really haven't got the vacation, but they are coming anyway. *sniff* I love weddings.

So my crazy undertaking is the knitting of shawls for women whose taste I know little about. The idea is to keep the 3 women of the wedding party warm in strappy dresses in early March. As of my last post, I had an idea for how it would go, but no actual pattern and a bit of panic about Time Remaining Before Wedding (imagine if I were the bride!).

Much progress has been made since Wednesday -- I'm beginning to think we might make it! I wrote a "pattern" for knuknitter on Wednesday evening. After a lovely evening of ripping and ball-winding, she left Knitting Meetup with something like 1/3 of the ribbon and 2 balls of Love.

Also on Wednesday came Janice's very kind offer to help with the knitting. Hurray, my hero(ine)! I am so grateful for her help!

Saturday as I was watching Illinois beat Iowa in men's college hoops (go Illini!), I came to the nasty realization that there was not a chance in hell that 3 balls of Love would cover 3 shawls. So I started trawling around yarn web sites and local yarn shps for more. Guess who saved the day? Imagiknit had plenty of Love in color #5 and knuknitter had the time to go get them. Huzzah!

Sunday I fetched the additional Love from San Francisco (isn't that a great sentence??) just in time to help carry the last of knuknitter's possessions out to the van for Final Moving Day. I checked out knuknitter's progress and some of the ribbon variations she used. She's knitting a bit more tightly than I am and may use more yarn to cover the same distance. Also Sunday afternoon I packed up a Shawl-a-palooza kit with half the remaining yarn and handed it off to Janice for rescue knitting. Here's hoping the mohair doesn't make her too itchy!

As of this evening, I have completed about 23" of my Love Prism shawl, Janice has about 18", and knuknitter at last check had about 27". I'm trying to keep track of my ribbon yarn usage for the point part so I can estimate when I should stop knitting straight. My goal is to get to 60" in length. I think I'm going to make it, but I think Janice & knuknitter might run out of Love faster than I will, so we may have to "share the love"... or even go back to Imagiknit for more Love. (See how that joke is funny every time?)

Think speedy thoughts for all of us Love Prism shawl knitters! I'm going to try to get mine done this week, because I think we're going to need next week to add garter stitch borders to increase the snuggle factor.

4 Comments:

Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

I made a little progress yesterday and have about 12 of the 39 inches for the center section. This looks like it will be a good evening knitting week -- we'll unpack, knit, unpack, and knit!

February 22, 2005 1:02 PM  
Blogger Bogie said...

39 inches for the center. Okay. For grins, what's your stitch count in the straight section? Mine's 69.

February 22, 2005 4:57 PM  
Blogger Abigail said...

...I think Janice & knuknitter might run out of Love faster than I will...Poor Janice and knuknitter. Running out of Love is a sad thing indeed. ;)

February 22, 2005 8:08 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

I've got 57 sts in the straight section. And I *hate* the way my starting edge looks so much flabbier than knuknitter's edge. Boo!

February 23, 2005 8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home