Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Shawlapalooza: the raw materials

Today is February 16th. In just 25 days, my brother will be married. The ladies of the wedding party are meant to have shawls. Knuknitter found some fabulous Prism yarn that matches our Vera Wang dresses like it was made for us - but only about 690 yards. She also made a large-ish swatch, demonstrating that this yarn needs to be knit on size 13 needles. We met to talk about the project 2 weeks ago (eee, time passing!) and then I went to Knitting Arts for complimentary yarns to stretch our supply of Prism. Here are two ideas of ways to set off the groovy yarn in a complementary background - both plans are for rectangular "wraps" more than traditional triangular shawls:

Multicolor mess of yarn    2 color: Prism plus Love
shawl1              shawl2


I knit one swatch for the Love Prism shawl last week, decided on a pattern, ripped out the swatch (mistake?) and am ready to start knitting shawls.. but , um, no shawls have been knitted so far! I'm sort of glad I wrote this post, because it makes clear the need for speed! Guess what I'll be knitting at Meetup tonight??

If worst comes to worst.. I end up with a capelet instead of an entire shawl/wrap.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Darn Blogger. I've been trying to get in to leave you a comment, but it's been extremely slow--but it occurs to me that they were going to do maintenance tonight, so I'm probably lucky just to get on.

ANYWAY! Can I help? I'd be happy to pitch in and knit a shawl.

February 16, 2005 5:27 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Awww, Janice, THANK YOU! I am totally going to take you up on this on Sunday if I can & need to. I am so touched that you offered to help, thank you!

February 16, 2005 11:59 PM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Yes, Janice, you rock! (This is the bride talking.)

I cast on wrap #2 last night and knit about 14 rows. Looks pretty!

February 18, 2005 12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home