Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Things knit during Stitches

Here are a few items I was working on during/between classes at Stitches West. The first is a Swirl Ball, which was nearly done before Stitches. It turns out to be a baby gift, but I mostly knit it to see how the shortrows work to provide the shaping in each section. I added the last two sections Thursday - making my swirl ball 8 sections instead of 6 and requiring the addition of beach ball ends.

img_7058

If the Birthday A Step Above socks are FO #1 for 2005 (January 6th), I think the swirl ball might be #2 (February 10).

Next we have the sampler I knit in a class with Beth Brown-Reinsel on Latvian Wristers. The photo shows the half braids, scalloped edges, herringbone braid and 3 color patterning we practiced in class. The wrister is a bit snug, but I'm thinking of making the second one anyway. If I could just knit the accent color looser in the color pattern section.

img_7118


And an in-progress shot of my first Baby Suprise Jacket, which I am totally mad for. I love the colors, the feel of the fabric, and the wackiness of the instructions.

img_7116

Tonight at Knitting Meetup, I managed to leave the body of the BSJ in the car, while the wool was in my knitting bag. At the bottom of the stairs, someone tried to grab my trailing string & hand it to me.. but the string kept going, and going... I retraced my yarn back up the steps from the downstairs room, out the door an between the cars RIGHT acorss the street. Cars were driving over the long string of yarn before we rescued it. I can't believe I nearly destroyed this project on my way into a knitting group!

7 Comments:

Blogger Bogie said...

Those projects look great. I'm going to have to knit me one of those swirl balls. I have no idea what I'll do with it, but that doesn't matter. The wrister is beautiful! And the BSJ is wonderful. I can't wait to see it in person. Re: the trailing yarn, whew! Things could have been MUCH worse... I'm glad the BSJ wasn't in danger of getting run over.

February 17, 2005 11:55 AM  
Blogger Abigail said...

Where did you get the swirl ball pattern? I really like it!

February 17, 2005 5:01 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Hi Abigail..

I found it on the Knit List pattern archive. Knit-L had a tradition of posting "gift" patterns, meaning patterns the authors allowed you to use freely and this was one of them.

This one is at:
http://www.knitlist.com/99gift/swirl-ball.htm

and you can always find it via Google by looking up swirl ball

February 17, 2005 10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I love your BSJ in Koigu and I'm planning on making one myself! Can you tell me what size needles you used and how many skeins you used?

Karen

February 28, 2005 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your comments. I'm always amazed at how many projects you have in the works and your knowledge but mostly I enjoy the humor. I laughed a the cutting the project story and especially at the yarn across the street --that's a classic. Mom

February 28, 2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger spinnity said...

Hi Karen - hope you come back to see this! The baby surprise jacket used most of 2 skeins of Koigu. I am using size 4 circulars (I think they are hateful Susan Bates needles, but they are working fine.) and getting 6 sts/inch as requested. I usually get 7 sts/inch in stockinette on 2's or 3's. The fabric is really springy feeling. Loose! I really like it that way.

February 28, 2005 9:37 PM  
Blogger spinnity said...

P.S. - Hi Mom! Glad to have you back online!

February 28, 2005 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home