Thursday, May 05, 2005

Summer-along, week 2

Our knitting group at work is knitting "Sally's Favorite Summer Sweater" from The Knit Stitch as a knitalong for the three of us. Last Wednesday was swatching. J finished her swatch and washed it by hand and machine to check for shrinkage, so she is ready to go. Sadly, she has to give her paws a rest for this week after quarter close last week. T returned her wrong-size needles and has knit most of her second swatch on new, right-size needles. She was working on that today. I finished my swatch but didn't wash it (bad bad knitting instructor!) and cast on today anyway. Tonight at knitting meetup I knit about 3 inches of the sheer section. I'm loving the Mirto! Rayon/cotton blends are not my usual thing so I'm pleased to find this is pleasant knitting.

The coolest news in our Summer-along is that T's mom, who lives near Paducah, Kentucky is going to join us. T sent her off to get yarn and the book this week. I'm totally excited to have a long distance member! Maybe we'll have to phone conference her in for our Wednesday meetings.

In other news, today I am carrying a newly-pocketed purse from Joanna Boyer, Bags by Design. I bought this purse about 6 weeks ago when Kristi brought some lovely samples by the Campbell stitch-n-bitch group. I love the shape & size of the bag and especially the polka dots all over fabric, but I had trouble locating cellphone and keys in the original pocketless version. I contacted the designer and she offered to retrofit the bag with pockets for me and make a matching makeup bag. Here's the new bag:

img_8932

See the cosy cell phone pocket? See the roomy keys pocket? See how the coordinating makeup bag keeps everything tidy? See how there's enough space to carry a small knitting project along with ordinary purse stuff? Many thanks to Jo for my new, fun, springy purse. For anyone who is interested, Jo would love to show her bags at an event or gathering of interested parties.

3 Comments:

Blogger Abigail said...

Cute bag! I wish I had room in my life for a cute purse. ;)

I would still love your help with the blocking, but now I'm not sure if I'm going to make it to SnB this week, since it's mother's day. Can you email me your phone number so I can give you a call and make a date to come over and block? :)

May 05, 2005 9:36 AM  
Blogger Wiz Knitter said...

Very practical bag! I find that key and cell phone pockets are completely necessary accoutrements. If I had my way, purses would also come with handkerchief holders, PDA pockets, iPod pockets, and separate eyeglass pockets for sunglasses and reading glasses.

May 05, 2005 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it would be fun to have your 'bag lady' friend come to one of our meet-ups and show her wares there.

May 09, 2005 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home